27.502, FYI: NWAV Steering Committee

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 26 20:11:37 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-502. Tue Jan 26 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.502, FYI: NWAV Steering Committee

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 15:10:51
From: Dennis Preston [dennis.preston at okstate.edu]
Subject: NWAV Steering Committee

The NWAV Conference, a mainstay of research on language variation and change
since its founding at Georgetown University in 1972 by Roger Shuy and C.-J.
Bailey, is pleased to announce the formation of an NWAV Conference Steering
Committee. An annual business meeting has been held at the conference for some
time, but there has been no governing body, leaving business unattended to
between meetings and nowhere for interested parties to provide input or get
information. For many years, and especially during some difficult periods for
the conference, Bill Labov and Gillian Sankoff offered support and stability
for the continuation of NWAV, and it is with deep appreciation that we
acknowledge their efforts. Both have asked to be relieved from further
administrative and guidance responsibilities.

At the annual business meeting in Toronto (in October 2015), the Steering
Committee was established with the current membership:
Standing Members: Dennis Preston (OKState) and Walt Wolfram (NCState)
Scott Kiesling (2013 Pittsburgh)
Zsuzsanna Fagyal (2014 Chicago)
Michol Hoffman (2015 Toronto)
Panayiotis Pappas (2016 Vancouver)
Joe Salmons (2017 WI-Madison)

The Committee consists of two standing members and a representative from the
current and two preceding and following host institutions (selected by the
institution). Upcoming members (and future host institutions) are as follows:

Gregory Guy (2018 NYU)
Tyler Kendall (2019 Oregon)
Lars Hinrichs (2020 TX-Austin)

The main duties of the Committee are
1) to offer a central place where any matters concerning the conference may be
addressed,
2) to provide future organizers with a guide to conference planning,
organization, funding, and delivery.
3) to provide web-based resources for the conference during the time between
those usually provided by the organizing institution,
4) to conduct such matters that may require decision-making outside the time
frame of the conference itself, including, but not limited to, proposals for
future sites as well as communications with organizations (e.g., ADS, LSA,
NSF).

So far, 1) is established, and we invite communication with the Committee on
any matters concerning the conference; such communications may be sent to
preston at msu.edu for forwarding to the Committee; progress on 2) is being made,
and we are grateful to Toronto students from the last NWAV for assisting in
the process; 3) is a goal that will be the focus of our ongoing discussions,
and at least one matter in 4) (approval of the Texas NWAV site for 2020) has
been accomplished.

We believe this action puts NWAV on a safer footing for continuing excellence
in the future, and we invite comment and discussion on any matters concerning
the conference.

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics