27.3052, Calls: Cog Sci, Gen Ling, Neuroling, Text/Corpus Ling/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 25 17:20:19 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-3052. Mon Jul 25 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.3052, Calls: Cog Sci, Gen Ling, Neuroling, Text/Corpus Ling/Germany

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 13:19:58
From: Sara Beck [sara.beck at uni-tuebingen.de]
Subject: Current Trends in Figurative Language Research

Full Title: Current Trends in Figurative Language Research

Date: 08-Dec-2016 - 09-Dec-2016
Location: Tübingen, Germany
Contact Person: Sara Beck
Meeting Email: sara.beck at uni-tuebingen.de
Web Site: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/es/psycholing/ctiflr2016

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; General Linguistics; Neurolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Aug-2016

Meeting Description:

This workshop, organized by the SFB 833 at the University of Tübingen, invites
junior and senior researchers to exchange ideas about current research on
figurative language.

The prevalence of figurative language can be seen both in its common use in
everyday written and spoken language but also through its presence as a
linguistic and literary phenomenon. Figurative language includes a broad
variety of forms including metaphors, idioms, puns, proverbs, metonymies, and
ironies to name a few. While we are familiar with the operations and function
of literal language, the complexities presented by figurative language are
less well-understood. Researchers from various fields have examined figurative
language looking at its place in theoretical linguistics or literature, its
effect on listeners and readers, as well as the processing, comprehension, and
even cognitive neuroscience surrounding this phenomenon.

This workshop is intended to promote an exchange between experienced and
junior researchers in the field of figurative language research on the current
practices and findings in this ever-growing field of research. Topics of
interest include, but are not limited to:

- Acquisition
- Processing
- Cognitive neuroscience
- Syntax
- Semantics
- Corpus studies

Invited Speakers:

Stéphanie Caillies, University of Reims Champagne-Ardenne
Gareth Carrol, University of Birmingham
Alexander Rapp, University of Tübingen
Manfred Sailer, Goethe University Frankfurt
Simone Sprenger, University of Groningen
Herbert Colston, University of Alberta

Organizing Committee:

Sara Beck, Ph.D. student, University of Tübingen
Ruth Keßler, Ph.D. student, University of Tübingen

With support from:

Prof. Dr. Claudia Friedrich, University of Tübingen
Prof. Dr. Andrea Weber, University of Tübingen

Attendance is free and junior researchers who are asked to give a talk can
receive some accommodation and travel funding from our research group.

2nd Call for Papers:

We welcome abstracts from current junior researchers on projects in all states
of progress on figurative language topics including, but not limited to, the
following:

- Acquisition
- Processing
- Cognitive neuroscience
- Syntax
- Semantics
- Corpus Studies

Junior researchers (PhD & Master) may submit short abstracts of 300-500 words
in PDF form by August 31, 2016 at sara.beck at uni-tuebingen.de. Abstracts will
be allocated as 20-minute talks or poster presentations. We will consider both
submissions of completed work and work-in-progress nearing completion.
Attendance is free and junior researchers who are asked to give a talk can
receive some accommodation and travel funding from our research group. See our
website for more information:

          http://multitree.org/