27.2684, Calls: Computational Ling, General Ling, Morphology, Psycholing, Semantics/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 21 14:45:24 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-2684. Tue Jun 21 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.2684, Calls: Computational Ling, General Ling, Morphology, Psycholing, Semantics/Germany

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté, Sara Couture)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 10:45:14
From: Sabine Schulte im Walde [dgfs-mwe-17 at ims.uni-stuttgart.de]
Subject: The Role of Constituents in Multi-Word Expressions

Full Title: The Role of Constituents in Multi-Word Expressions

Date: 08-Mar-2017 - 10-Mar-2017
Location: Saarbrücken, Germany
Contact Person: Sabine Schulte im Walde
Meeting Email: schulte at ims.uni-stuttgart.de
Web Site: http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/events/dgfs-mwe-17/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Morphology; Psycholinguistics; Semantics

Call Deadline: 01-Sep-2016

Meeting Description:

Workshop on the Role of Constituents in Multi-Word Expressions: An
Interdisciplinary, Cross-Lingual Perspective

The processing and representation of multi-word expressions (MWEs), ranging
from noun compounds (e.g. ''hogwash'' in English, and ''Ohrwurm'' in German)
to particle verbs (e.g. ''give up'' in English, and ''aufgeben'' in German)
has remained an unsettled issue over the past 20+ years.

>From a psycholinguistic perspective the question is how the semantic
transparency of the constituents affects the processing and representation of
the MWE they compose (Libben, 2006; Gagne and Spalding, 2009; Ji et al., 2011;
Marelli and Luzzatti, 2012). For example, the semantic transparency of the
head has been found to affect the processing of noun compounds in English but
not in German, with similar findings contrasting the effects of semantic
transparency in English and German particle verbs (Smolka et al., 2014).

>From a computational perspective the question is how the different types of
constituents (i.e., modifiers vs. heads, particles vs. verb stems) influence
the automatic prediction of semantic transparency, as typically addressed by
vector space models relying on the distributional hypothesis and empirical
co-occurrence information from large corpora (Reddy et al., 2011; Bell and
Schaefer, 2013; Salehi and Cook, 2013; Schulte im Walde et al., 2013; 2016).

Invited speakers:

Gary Libben,
Department of Applied Linguistics, Brock University

Marco Marelli,
Department of Experimental Psychology, Ghent University

Workshop organisers:

Sabine Schulte im Walde,
Institut für Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung, Universität Stuttgart

Eva Smolka,
Fachbereich Sprachwissenschaft, Universität Konstanz

Call for Papers:

In this workshop, we aim to exploit complementary evidence from noun compounds
and particle verbs to shed light on the interaction of constituent properties
and compound transparency. We invite research contributions across languages
and across research disciplines to provide a cross-linguistic perspective
integrating linguistic, psycholinguistic, corpus-based and computational
studies.

Relevant aspects include (but are not restricted to)
- investigations on the role of constituent ambiguity
- conditions for analogies and meaning shifts
- the age at which children are affected by constituent transparency
- evidence from neologisms
- empirical constituent properties (e.g. frequency and productivity)

Abstract submission:

Abstracts may consist of up to 500 words (max. 1 page), plus additional
material such as tables, figures and references on a second page. An extra
page should list all authors and their affiliations.

Abstracts should be submitted as PDF via EasyChair at:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dgfsmwe17.

The deadline for submissions is September 1, 2016.

                       Fund Drive 2016

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $79,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2016 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

For all information on donating, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit:

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Indiana University and
as such can receive donations through Indiana University Foundation. We
also collect donations via eLinguistics Foundation, a registered 501(c)
Non Profit organization with the federal tax number 45-4211155. Either
way, the donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your
state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the
IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that
they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization.
Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department
and sending us a form that the Indiana University Foundation fills in
and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative
procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if
your company operates such a program.

          http://multitree.org/