27.1185, Confs: Translation/Taiwan

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 7 15:20:21 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-1185. Mon Mar 07 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.1185, Confs: Translation/Taiwan

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 10:20:12
From: Darryl Sterk [shidailun at gmail.com]
Subject: 20th International Symposium on Translation and Interpreting Teaching

20th International Symposium on Translation and Interpreting Teaching

Date: 26-Mar-2016 - 27-Mar-2016
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Contact: Darryl Sterk
Contact Email: shidailun at gmail.com
Meeting URL: http://gpti.ntu.edu.tw/20thISTIT/super_pages.php?ID=20thISTIT101

Linguistic Field(s): Translation

Subject Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)

Meeting Description:

Not restricted to pedagogy, the symposium this year features keynotes by Franz
Pöchacker, Lawrence Wong, and Uganda Kwan.

The symposium will deeply reflect on the loss and gain in T&I, based on the
activities, theories, discourses and strategies of T&I. T&I scholars nowadays
question the standard “faithfulness” and “equivalence,” and consider every T&I
act a balance between loss and gain. Texts of T&I are like black boxes,
recording translators’ and interpreters’ regret of “focusing on this to
forfeit that,” or their joy of capturing everything in their
translation/interpreting.

Under our main theme on loss and gain in translation and interpreting, there
are several sub-topics discussed in the symposium, including: (1) Loss/Gain in
Translation/Interpreting Theories, (2) Comparisons of Translation/Interpreting
Strategies in Different Types of Texts, (3) Loss/Gain in
Translation/Interpreting Teaching, (4) Studies of Important Literature
Translators’ Translation Strategies, (5) Translatibility and
Untranslatibility, (6) Loss/Gain in Translation/Interpreting under Different
Historical and Geographical Backgrounds, and (7) Loss/Gain in
Translation/Interpreting via Different Media.

Through scholars from home and abroad presenting their research results and
opening up discussions, we hope that the symposium will yield more thoughts
and insights, and present the T&I research results and the variety and
vitality of T&I teaching in Taiwan.