27.1200, Support: Clinical Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics / United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 8 14:05:28 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-1200. Tue Mar 08 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.1200, Support: Clinical Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics / United Kingdom

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 09:05:17
From: Jim Scobbie [jscobbie at qmu.ac.uk]
Subject: Clinical Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics, PhD, Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

 Institution/Organization: Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Department: Speech and Hearing Sciences
Web Address: http://www.qmu.ac.uk/casl/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research,Teaching

Specialty Areas: Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics
Clinical Linguistics

For entry in September 2016, a 3 year PhD studentship is available, with fee
waiver and stipend of £13,500 plus research fund of £2000.

Proposals relating to any of our core research areas will be considered, with
priority given to clinical and clinically-related research, but we do have 4
broad strategic priority areas for 2016:

Topic 1 - Laboratory Phonology: Articulatory Phonetic Variation

CASL has used ultrasound and EPG to explore a number of phonological topics
over the years, and we are very happy to consider applications that explore
interesting theoretical issues using experimental techniques in speech
production. The dissertation topic proposed might build on our previous work,
in theory or method, or be an independent idea, so long as there is a
realistic fit with the interests of potential supervisors.

Contact: Prof James M Scobbie jscobbie at qmu.ac.uk in the first instance

Topic 2 - Clinical Remediation of Speech Disorder using Ultrasound Tongue
Imaging

We have a number of externally-funded projects undertaking clinical research
into diagnosis and treatment using one or other of these articulatory
techniques, and we welcome applications to take this impactful research
forward. A qualification in Speech and Language Therapy would be a requirement
for applicants wishing to pursue this topic. The clinical focus of the
research is open.

Contact: Dr Sara Wood swood at qmu.ac.uk for EPG or Prof James M Scobbie
jscobbie at qmu.ac.uk for UTI.

Topic 3 - Voice, Variability and Speech Intelligibility in healthy older
people and people with Parkinson’s

Parkinson’s speech is typically characterized by monotony, harsh breathy
voice, imprecise articulation and impaired prosody, leading to reduced speech
intelligibility. Intelligibility is a key contributor to functional
communication, and a necessary component of assessment in speech disorder. At
the same time, it is important to understand the effects of typical ageing on
the voice. For this topic, a clinical qualification in Speech and Language
Therapy could be an advantage.

Contact: Dr Joan Ma jma at qmu.ac.uk or Dr Janet Beck jbeck at qmu.ac.uk

Topic 4 - Bi-dialectal Acquisition of Language and Speech

The literature on acquisition tends to focus on studies of individual
languages or well-defined accents, or acquisition in a multilingual context. A
more complex and under-researched area is how children creatively resolve
mixed input from parents with different accents from each other and/or the
community. This research topic would look at variation in Scottish accent
acquisition, preferably using cross-sectional methods and a large subject
pool.

Speech Sciences – contact jscobbie at qmu.ac.uk
Language Impairment – contact aclark at qmu.ac.uk
Audiology – contact jwhite at qmu.ac.uk

Full training in the use of relevant experimental and laboratory techniques
will be provided if required.

Details of current CASL research publications and projects can be found online
at: http://eresearch.qmu.ac.uk/view/divisions/casl.default.html and projects
at: http://www.qmu.ac.uk/casl/researchareas.htm and current PhD students /
previous theses are given here: http://www.qmu.ac.uk/shs/pg/

Application Deadline: 01-Apr-2016

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Fraser Rudge
	Doctoral School, Queen Margaret University
	Queen Margaret University
	Edinburgh Midlothian EH21 6UU
	United Kingdom

Web Address for Applications: http://www.qmu.ac.uk/graduate-school/prospective-students/bursary-comp.htm