27.1209, Diss: Purepecha, Applied Ling: Valeria Valencia: 'Consequences of language hierarchization: Language Ideologies among Purepecha (heritage) speakers in the U.S. implications for language maintenance and learning'

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 8 19:36:40 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-1209. Tue Mar 08 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.1209, Diss: Purepecha, Applied Ling: Valeria Valencia: 'Consequences of language hierarchization: Language Ideologies among Purepecha (heritage) speakers in the U.S. implications for language maintenance and learning'

                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 14:36:25
From: Valeria Valencia [valeria.va.za at gmail.com]

Institution: Applied Linguistics, University of California
Program: Applied Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2015

Author: Valeria Valencia

Dissertation Title: Consequences of language hierarchization: Language
Ideologies among Purepecha (heritage) speakers in the U.S.
implications for language maintenance and learning

Subject Language(s): Purepecha (tsz)

Dissertation Director(s):
Susan Plann

Dissertation Abstract:

In my dissertation, I examine some of the language ideologies towards
Purepecha and indigenous speech in seven Purepecha speakers and seven
Purepecha heritage speakers in the U.S. I analyze the way language
hierarachization has been established in Mexico and the ways in which
Purepecha speakers and Purepecha heritage speakers alike deal with this
hierarchization. I also analyze how standardizing language policies have
impacted Purepecha language maintenance, as well as how language ideologies
about Purepecha and other indigenous languages in Mexico are present in the
interviewees’ discourse. I examine the possible role that language ideologies
have in speakers’ decisions to shift from Purepecha to Spanish and to English.

Among the language ideological features I study is Purepecha’s status as a
language in contrast to Spanish and English, and the iconization and
racialization of Mexican indigenous speech, resulting in the creation of a
stereotyped Indio ethnicity. Finally, I examine interviewees’ language
learning investments when learning a language other than their own, as well as
resistance and appropriation processes that result from the imposition of
learning dominant languages.