27.2019, Jobs: Multiple Languages; Computational Linguistics: Sr. Computational Linguist, Chenope

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue May 3 13:46:10 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-2019. Tue May 03 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.2019, Jobs: Multiple Languages; Computational Linguistics: Sr. Computational Linguist, Chenope

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté, Sara Couture)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 09:45:50
From: Katya Saint-Amand [ksaintamand at chenope.com]
Subject: Multiple Languages; Computational Linguistics: Sr. Computational Linguist, Chenope, San Francisco, CA, USA or Edinburgh, Scotland

 University or Organization: Chenope
Job Location: San Francisco, CA, USA or Edinburgh, Scotland
Web Address: http://www.chenope.com
Job Title: Sr. Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Rank Open; Sr. Computational Linguist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): French (fra)
                      German (deu)
                      Japanese (jpn)
                      Portuguese (por)
                      Spanish (spa)

Chenope is a fairly early stage, 100% bootstrapped core technology start-up
with locations in the San Francisco Bay Area, Edinburgh (Scotland) and
Singapore. We already have meaningful revenue, and a partnership with a
multi-billion dollar global company.  Our CEO has previously been successful
bootstrapping a software startup to a sustained 8-figure annual run rate,
based on superior technology and sales execution. We do not intend to raise
venture capital, which is a gigantic advantage given the current situation in
the valley with the so-called unicorn meltdown.  This also means that stock
option grants to employees can be vastly more generous than could otherwise be
the case.

We are currently looking for as many as 2-3 linguists / computational
linguists.  In this role, you will work on analysing textual data as part of a
multi-faceted analysis whose goal is to predict the behaviour of organisations
of varying types. Applications range from Human Capital Management, to
Investor Intelligence and Countering Violent Extremism. The work is
cutting-edge and highly varying in nature.

Desired Qualifications:

- Postgraduate degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics or a related
field. Equivalent experience in the IC or military welcome. Additional
research and/or training in semantics, pragmatics and corpus linguistics
preferred.
- Experience in ontology development, grammar engineering, and the ability to
abstract over language data.
- Proven ability to do original research in the field.
- Programming competence - you should at least feel comfortable in a scripting
language.
- Familiarity with language processing tools - for English and other
languages.
- Native or near-native fluency in more than one language preferred - we
especially welcome applications from native French, German, Spanish,
Portuguese, Japanese, and Arabic speakers.
- Intellectual curiosity critical, especially a “nose” for investigation.
- Comfortable with performing both intellectually complex and mundane tasks as
needed to advance the goals of the business; a certain amount of professional
maturity is required in a bootstrap.
- Prior start-up experience preferred.

Even if you don't have all the qualifications listed above, but you think that
you have the potential for learning and development, you should still send us
your application. We are growing, and we have long memories.

While ideally the candidate will be in one of the three above locations, we
will consider any candidate who has the right to work in any of the three
above countries. At this juncture we do not sponsor visas other than for
internship programs. However, we will pay to relocate the right person to one
of our existing locations within several months of successful work at the
company, preferably (but not necessarily) Edinburgh.

Application Deadline: 31-May-2017 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: work at chenope.com
Contact Information:
	Manager, Computational Linguistics Group Katya Saint-Amand
	Email: ksaintamand at chenope.com

                       Fund Drive 2016

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $79,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2016 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

For all information on donating, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit:

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Indiana University and
as such can receive donations through the eLinguistics Foundation,
which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal
Tax number is 45-4211155. These donations can be offset against
your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only).
For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial
advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that
they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization.
Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department
and sending us a form that the eLinguistics Foundation fills in and
returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative
procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without
costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if
your company operates such a program.