27.2068, Confs: Anthropological Ling, Discourse Analysis, Lang Doc, Pragmatics, Socioling/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 5 15:14:52 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-2068. Thu May 05 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.2068, Confs: Anthropological Ling, Discourse Analysis, Lang Doc, Pragmatics, Socioling/UK

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté, Sara Couture)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 11:14:35
From: Julia Sallabank [js72 at soas.ac.uk]
Subject: Language and Conflict: Politics of Language and Identity across Contexts

Language and Conflict: Politics of Language and Identity across Contexts

Date: 20-May-2016 - 20-May-2016
Location: SOAS, University of London, United Kingdom
Contact: Birgul Yilmaz
Contact Email: b_yilmaz at soas.ac.uk

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Language Documentation; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

This one day workshop brings together scholars and graduate students working
on the role of language in on-going and post-conflict contexts. Examples could
include (but are not limited to) the Middle East, Africa, the Balkans, and
Western Europe, including diaspora and migration contexts.

The workshop aims at exploring the intersection of language and conflict on
several levels, stressing the role of language and identity:

– Firstly, a micro level with a particular focus on the interactional
construction or discourse of conflict (and resolution)
– Secondly, we focus on the macro structures of conflict, drawing on processes
of language policies and revitalization in such contexts
– Thirdly, we focus on the potential role of languages in inter-community,
intra-community or social cohesion.

Programme:

This programme is also available online at
https://www.soas.ac.uk/linguistics/events/20may2016-language-and-conflict-poli
tics-of-language-and-identity-across-contexts.html