27.4450, Jobs: Spanish; Computational Linguistics; Semantics: Consultant, Chenope

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 2 13:34:45 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4450. Wed Nov 02 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4450, Jobs: Spanish; Computational Linguistics; Semantics: Consultant, Chenope

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2016 09:34:36
From: Katya Saint-Amand [ksaintamand at chenope.com]
Subject: Spanish; Computational Linguistics; Semantics: Consultant, Chenope, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

University or Organization: Chenope
Job Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://chenope.com/
Job Title: Spanish linguist
Job Rank: Consultant

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Semantics

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

Chenope is an American startup with a presence in Edinburgh. Our work focuses
on analysing the behaviour of different kinds of organisations, ranging from
corporations to criminal groups. We are building our business in the
traditional way – with real customers and real revenue. We have a large client
who requires Spanish language support for one of our offerings. We thus
currently have a need for a Spanish linguist to work on topic / sentiment
categorisation for purposes of understanding large volumes of employee
comments. Various Spanish dialects will be reflected in the initial data set;
we anticipate that it will be mostly LatAm Spanish, however there will be
Castilian as well.

The position is temporary, with the possibility of transition to full time
employment, as Chenope is always on the lookout for bright linguists and
computational linguists, and our needs for Spanish may be expanding. The
contract is expected to commence in December, and is anticipated to last at
least 5 months.

While the work could be done remotely, we strongly prefer someone in the
Edinburgh or San Francisco Bay Area.

Requirements:

- Native-level of Spanish (Latin American Spanish is strongly preferred)
- Ability to abstract over linguistic data (syntax, semantics)
- Prior experience doing topic / sentiment categorisation a big plus
- Prior scripting or query-writing experience a big plus
- Working experience in a large corporation a big plus
- Availability for at least 15 hrs a week, for 5 months

Please note that all applicants must have the right to work in the UK/US.

If interested, please send a CV with relevant experience to work at chenope.com.
Informal inquiries can be sent to Katya Saint-Amand (see contact information
below).

Application Deadline: 01-Mar-2017 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: work at chenope.com
Contact Information:
	Katya Saint-Amand
	Email: ksaintamand at chenope.com