27.4550, Support: Spanish; Portuguese; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonology; Dialectology / USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 8 18:56:27 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4550. Tue Nov 08 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4550, Support: Spanish; Portuguese; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonology; Dialectology / USA

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 13:55:58
From: Albert Lloret [lloret at umass.edu]
Subject: Spanish; Portuguese; Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonology; Dialectology: PhD, University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA

 Institution/Organization: University of Massachusetts Amherst
Department: Spanish and Portuguese
Web Address: http://www.umass.edu/spanport/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonology
Dialectology
Required Language(s): Portuguese (por)
                      Spanish (spa)

Program descriptions:

Spanish and Portuguese studies at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
offers M.A. and Ph.D. programs. Our M.A. is geared towards recent graduates
and professionals seeking to further their knowledge of the Spanish- and
Portuguese-speaking world. Our Ph.D. is aimed at students looking to become
higher-education teachers and scholars; it has four tracks, offering the
opportunity to specialize in:

- Hispanic linguistics.
- Iberian literatures and cultures.
- Latin American and Latina/o literatures and cultures.
- Lusophone literatures, cultures and linguistics.

Students can take courses in other departments, typically within the School of
Humanities and Fine Arts.

Along with their M.A. or Ph.D. degree, students may obtain interdisciplinary
graduate certificates that are offered in conjunction with other programs and
departments at UMass. These certificates include Film Studies, Latin-American,
Caribbean and Latino Studies, Advanced Feminist Studies, Cognitive Science,
among others.

Last, UMass belongs to a university consortium known as the Five Colleges,
which also includes Smith College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College,
and Amherst College. Our graduate students often take courses in the Five
Colleges and enjoy the mentoring of their faculty.

Funding:

Our doctoral students receive four years of funding support, if they hold an
M.A. at the time when they enter the program, and five years, if they enter
the program without an M.A. Extensions are granted upon availability. Doctoral
students receive a full tuition waiver (about $28,000), medical insurance
(about $3,500), and a stipend ($18,500) while they work as Teaching
Associates. [N.B. These figures correspond to the 2016-2017 academic year].

Our Teaching Associates are in charge of teaching one course per semester in
the Spanish, Portuguese, or Catalan languages. They have the opportunity to
spend a year as visiting lecturers in one of our graduate exchange programs
with the Universidad de Granada and the Universidad de Oviedo.

There are travel funds available to present academic work at conferences.

The Graduate School also offers research support in the form of, among other
opportunities:

- Predissertation Research Grants
- Dissertation Research Grants
- Dissertation Fieldwork Grants