27.4584, FYI: Carnegie-Mellon’s IES-funded Pre-Doctoral Training

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 10 17:30:50 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4584. Thu Nov 10 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4584, FYI: Carnegie-Mellon’s IES-funded Pre-Doctoral Training

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:30:34
From: Audrey Russo [ar3v at andrew.cmu.edu]

Dear Colleague,

I write to ask you to notify your graduate-school bound undergraduate students
about Carnegie-Mellon’s IES-funded Pre-Doctoral Training Grant -- now in its
12th year: the Program in Interdisciplinary Education Research (PIER)[1]. Our
program provides doctoral students -- in a wide range of CMU’s departments,
including Psychology, Statistics, Philosophy, Physics, Human-Computer
Interaction, Robotics, Machine Learning, Economics, Public Policy, and
Computer Science -- with a solid basis for a career in the Education Sciences.
 Application and admission to PIER take place concurrently with admission to
the Ph.D. program in one of the participating departments. Our program --
described fully at the PIER web site: http://www.cmu.edu/pier/ -- is one of
several similar programs currently funded by the Institute of Education
Sciences[2].

Each of the participating departments in our program recruits their grad
students via the normal departmental graduate admissions process. Then, if
students are above threshold for their departmental admits, and have applied
to PIER, they are considered for entry into our program by the PIER steering
committee.

In addition to Carnegie Mellon’s strong reputation for research in the core
disciplines that participate in PIER, our interest in applied instructional
problems has become increasingly visible, as evidenced by the excellent career
trajectories of our graduates since 2006.[3]

The action item associated with this letter is the following: please pass this
letter on to whomever advises undergraduates in your department, as well as
other relevant departments at your university, in order to make this
information available to your seniors who are planning to apply to graduate
school this Fall.

If there is any additional information I can provide, please do not hesitate
to ask me. Thanks for helping to spread the word about our program.

Sincerely,

David Klahr

[1] Only U.S. citizens or permanent residents can receive funding from PIER,
but other CMU graduate students can participate in the program if they can
find other sources of support ( for example, from their home CMU department,
or from other grants).  These students are considered “PIER Associates”, and
participate fully in all aspects of the program.
[2] The others are listed at: http://irtpes.wceruw.org/
[3]  http://www.cmu.edu/pier/fellows-and-alumni/index.html

                     Language Acquisition

                       Fund Drive 2016