27.4671, Disc: Teaching Blind Students

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 15 19:58:37 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4671. Tue Nov 15 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4671, Disc: Teaching Blind Students

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 14:58:30
From: John Myhill [john at research.haifa.ac.il]
Subject: Teaching Blind Students

For the first time I have a blind student, actually two, in a class of mine,
specifically an intro class. They are not just visually impaired but 100%
blind. I really have no idea of how to teach or test them on the material.
They don't know how to read in regular orthography (they're Arabic speakers
and the class is conducted in English). They can read Braille (Arabic and I
assume English and Hebrew), and they type on a Brallie keyboard which converts
what they write into regular letters. This is an introductory class with
phonetics, phonology, morphology, and syntax. How can they learn phonetic
notation? How can they read the phonology problems I give them? How can they
read the materials I have prepared for the class. Any suggestions would be
very much appreciated. Please write to me about this at
john at research.haifa.ac.il

Thanks,
John Myhill

                       Fund Drive 2016