27.4720, FYI: New PhD in Applied Linguistics at USF

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 17 18:55:25 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4720. Thu Nov 17 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4720, FYI: New PhD in Applied Linguistics at USF

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 13:54:49
From: Amanda Huensch [huensch at usf.edu]
Subject: New PhD in Applied Linguistics at USF

 We are excited to announce a new Ph.D. program in Linguistics and Applied
Language Studies at the University of South Florida.

The Ph.D. program in Linguistics and Applied Language Studies (LALS) prepares
students for research and teaching in the interdisciplinary field of Applied
Linguistics. Our program addresses a broad range of language-related issues,
to better understand how language functions both in the lives of individuals
and in society. The LALS program at the University of South Florida emphasizes
multiple theoretical and methodological approaches. We offer specializations
in the following subdisciplines: the analysis of spoken and written texts,
multilingualism, second language acquisition, and sociolinguistics. Through
its curriculum, as well as through close mentoring between faculty and
students, the LALS program emphasizes real-world, practical applications to
language-related problems and prepares students with the 21st century skills
necessary to succeed in both academic and industry careers.

Our Ph.D. program receives strong support from the Department of World
Languages (WLE). Qualified applicants are awarded teaching assistantships and
teach foreign language or applied linguistics courses in WLE. Some students
will be funded by teaching in INTO-USF's ELP.

Applications for admission to the fall 2017 cohort are due January 15th.
Interested students can find more information at:
http://languages.usf.edu/graduate/lals/

Please direct questions to Dr. Amy Thompson (athompson at usf.edu).

Thank you for your help spreading the word,
Amanda Huensch, Amy Thompson, Nicole Tracy-Ventura, Camilla Vásquez, and Wei
Zhu

                       Fund Drive 2016