27.4789, Calls: Computational Linguistics/Sweden

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 22 20:15:28 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4789. Tue Nov 22 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4789, Calls: Computational Linguistics/Sweden

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 15:15:20
From: Charalambos (Haris) Themistocleous [charalambos.themistocleous at gu.se]
Subject: Conference on Logic and Machine Learning in Natural Language

Full Title: Conference on Logic and Machine Learning in Natural Language (LaML)
Short Title: LaML

Date: 12-Jun-2017 - 14-Jun-2017
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact Person: Charalambos (Haris) Themistocleous
Meeting Email: charalambos.themistocleous at gu.se
Web Site: http://clasp.gu.se/news-events/conference-on-logic-and-machine-learning-in-natural-language--laml-

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Call Deadline: 04-Apr-2017

Meeting Description:

Venue: Wallenburg Conference Centre, University of Gothenburg

Organised by CLASP, University of Gothenburg

The past two decades have seen impressive progress in a variety of areas of
AI, particularly NLP, through the application of machine learning methods to a
wide range of tasks. With the intensive use of deep learning methods in recent
years this work has produced significant improvements in the coverage and
accuracy of NLP systems in such domains as speech recognition, topic
identification, semantic interpretation, and image description generation.

While deep learning is opening up exciting new approaches to longstanding,
difficult problems in computational linguistics, it also raises important
foundational questions. Specifically, we do not have a clear formal
understanding of why multi-level recursive deep neural networks achieve the
success in learning and classification that they are delivering. It is also
not obvious whether they should displace more traditional, logically driven
methods, or be combined with them. Finally, we need to explore the extent, if
any, to which both logical models and machine learning methods offer insights
into the cognitive foundations of natural language.

The Conference on Logic and Machine Learning in Natural Language will address
these questions and related issues. It will feature invited talks by leading
researchers in both fields, and high level contributed papers selected through
open open competition and rigorous review. Our aim is to initiated a genuine
dialogue between these two approaches, where there they have traditionally
remained separate and in competition.

Registration is free and participation is open. We warmly invite everyone to
attend.

Invited Speakers:

Marco Baroni, Trento
Alexander Clark, King’s College London
Devdatt Dubhashi, Chalmers
Katrin Erk, University of Texas, Austin
Joakim Nivre, Uppsala
Aarne Ranta, Gothenburg
Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Queen Mary University of London

The LaML Programme Committee:

Marco Baroni, Trento
Islam Beltagy, University of Texas, Austin
Jean-Philippe Bernardy, Gothenburg
Gemma Boleda, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Stergios Chatzikyriakidis, Gothenburg
Alexander Clark, King’s College London
Robin Cooper, Gothenburg
Simon Dobnik, Gothenburg
Devdatt Dubhashi, Chalmers
Katrin Erk, University of Texas, Austin
Julian Hough, Bielefeld
Christine Howes, Gothenburg
Shalom Lappin, Gothenburg
John D. Kelleher, Dublin Institute of Technology
Staffan Larsson, Gothenburg
Julian Michael, Washington
Joakim Nivre, Uppsala
Barbara Plank, Groningen
Matthew Purver, Queen Mary University of London
Aarne Ranta, Gothenburg
Mehrnoosh Sadrzadeh, Queen Mary University of London
Anders Søgaard, Copenhagen
Charalambos Themistocleous, Gothenburg

For additional information, contact  charalambos.themistocleous at gu.se

Call for Papers:

Submission of papers:

EasyChair submission address: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=laml2017

Conference webpage:

Contact email address: laml2017 at easychair.org

LaTeX style files: http://eacl2017.org/images/site/eacl-2017-template.zip
(this appears to be the latest version of ACL style, ACL 2017 have not been
published yet, there is no Word version).

Camera copies will be up to 5 pages + references.

We anticipate accepting 17 papers for oral presentation, and up to 20 papers
for poster presentation.

Important Dates:

Deadline for submission: April 4, 2017
Notification of authors: April 27, 2017
Camera ready papers due: May 9, 2017

The conference proceedings will be published online, with an ISSN, on the
CLASP website. Authors will retain the copyright of their papers and be free
to publish them elsewhere, with acknowledgement.