27.3973, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Manager, Amazon

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 6 17:51:31 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-3973. Thu Oct 06 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.3973, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Manager, Amazon

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 13:51:23
From: Remus Mois [rmois at amazon.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Manager, Amazon, Gdansk, Poland

University or Organization: Amazon.com
Department: Ivona Software (an Amazon company)
Job Location: Gdansk, Poland
Web Address: http://gdansk-amazon.com/
Job Title: Linguistic Research Manager - Speech and Language Technologies (Text-to-Speech)
Job Rank: Manager

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics

Want to work on one of the coolest and most innovative pieces of technology in
the recent years? We built the Amazon Alexa, the Amazon cloud service that
powers devices such as Amazon Echo, FireTV, Amazon Tap and Echo Dot. And this
is just the beginning. We’re on to build the Star Trek computer and you have a
chance to be part of this. Come join us, together we will revolutionize the
way people interact with devices and services! We are inventing the future.

As a leader of the TTS Linguists team you will be responsible for leading the
development and launch of core product features. You will have significant
influence on our overall strategy by helping define these product features,
drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a
quality product.

The ideal candidate is clearly passionate about new opportunities and has a
demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products.
A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both
business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. This person has
thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services
in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.

Basic Qualifications

- MS or PhD in Linguistics or related technical discipline
- 4+ years of industry experience
- 3+ years of experience in managing teams
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and
metrics to back up assumptions and opinions
- Familiarity with command-line environments and tools
- Sharp analytical abilities
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
- Personal interest in language or speech technologies

Preferred Qualifications

- Programming skills in any modern programming language
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and
fast paced environment
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving
operational excellence and best practices

Application Deadline: 28-Feb-2017 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: rmois at amazon.com
Contact Information:
	Remus Mois
	Email: rmois at amazon.com