27.4138, Calls: English, Gen Ling, Historical Ling, Socioling/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Oct 15 01:43:45 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4138. Fri Oct 14 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4138, Calls: English, Gen Ling, Historical Ling, Socioling/UK

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 21:43:27
From: Dr Jenny Amos [jennifer.amos at uos.ac.uk]
Subject: Language Variation and Change in the South of England

Full Title: Language Variation and Change in the South of England

Date: 12-Apr-2017 - 12-Apr-2017
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Jenny Amos
Meeting Email: southernlvc at gmail.com
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/site/lvcinthesouth/

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-Dec-2016

Meeting Description:

The first Language Variation and Change in the South of England meeting will
take place on the 12 April 2017, and will be hosted by the University of
Suffolk. We are pleased to announce that Prof David Britain (University of
Berne) has agreed to give a plenary talk at the meeting.

Our understanding of the nature of sociolinguistic variability in the South of
England is still lagging considerably behind that of other varieties of
English. Therefore, this meeting aims to bring together scholars in the field
of language variation and change who take a quantitative approach to
sociolinguistics in order to examine the linguistic and social factors which
influence variation, be they phonetic, morphosyntactic, discourse-pragmatic
and/or lexical features.

Call for Papers:

The first Language Variation and Change in the South of England meeting will
take place on the 12 April 2017, and will be hosted by the University of
Suffolk.

If you are currently conducting research, or have research interests in this
geographical area, we would like to invite you to submit an abstract for a
20min presentation relating to language variation and change in the South of
England. The meeting has been designed to have a workshop nature, hence both
informal presentations/discussions about ongoing research bearing on the issue
of English in the South of England, and conference-style research
presentations are appropriate.

The deadline for abstracts is 31 December 2016 and must be submitted to
southernlvc at gmail.com by this date.

If you are interested in attending the meeting but do not wish to submit an
abstract, please keep an eye on our webpage which will be regularly updated
with registration details and other information
https://sites.google.com/site/lvcinthesouth/ .

We look forward to welcoming you to Ipswich in April!

Jenny Amos (University of Suffolk) and Sandra Jansen (University of Brighton)

                       Fund Drive 2016

          http://multitree.org/