27.4166, Support: French; General Linguistics / USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 17 15:57:52 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4166. Mon Oct 17 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4166, Support: French; General Linguistics / USA

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 11:57:30
From: Julie Auger [jauger at indiana.edu]
Subject: French; General Linguistics: PhD, Indiana University, USA

 Institution/Organization: Indiana University
Department: Dept. of French & Italian
Web Address: http://frit.indiana.edu/

Level: PhD

Duties: Teaching

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

Required Language(s): French (fra)

The graduate program in French Linguistics offered by the Department of French
& Italian at Indiana University offers a vibrant environment for the study of
French as a native and second language (L2), French as a minority language
(Louisiana French), and also minority languages in France (Picard, Breton,
Occitan). Unsurpassed French-specific training in syntax, semantics,
morphology, and phonology provides a unique foundation in the nature of
grammar and in its interactions with other systems of cognition. Our
award-winning faculty offer strong expertise in many critical issues such as
social and dialectal variation, historical change, language contact and
endangerment, as well as second language knowledge, production, and
processing. We nurture students’ scholarly development and are proud of an
excellent placement record for PhD graduates. Recent thesis topics include an
analysis of interrogation forms used in French movies from the 1930's to 2009,
a probabilistic analysis of word order change in infinitival clauses from
Latin to Old French, a lexicographic treatment of color terms, and a
phonetic-phonological study of nasal(ized) vowels in French and in Picard.

IU-Bloomington is a great place to study, with a beautiful campus and vibrant
scholarly environment. Our university offers courses in 46 different
languages, including Haitian Creole. It is the home of LinguistList, the Lilly
Library of rare books and manuscripts, and many linguistics programs housed in
language departments. We regularly host national and international conferences
in linguistics, speaker series, as well as short summer programs bringing
international experts to campus to offer courses on the most recent
developments in specific subareas of linguistics. Upon completion of the PhD
in French Linguistics, our graduate students typically obtain excellent
placements at universities and colleges worldwide (e.g., University of
Michigan, University of Georgia, and Université de Montréal).

We offer financial aid in the form of fellowships and Associate Instructor
positions, generally in five-year packages for students who successfully
complete the MA degree and continue on to the PhD. The financial packages
include a stipend, health insurance, and a tuition waiver. As of 2015-16, we
offer a stipend of $15,750 per academic year to teachy basic language classes.

The application deadline for international students is December 1, 2016 and
that the deadline for domestic applicants is January 15, 2016.

Application Deadline: 15-Jan-2017

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Indiana University Julie Auger
	Dept. of French & Italian, GISB, Indiana University
	355 N. Jordan Ave.
	Bloomington IN 47405
	USA

Contact Information: