27.4348, Support: Germanic; General Linguistics / USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 27 18:49:50 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4348. Thu Oct 27 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4348, Support: Germanic; General Linguistics / USA

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 14:49:45
From: Marc Pierce [mpierc at austin.utexas.edu]
Subject: Germanic; General Linguistics: PhD, University of Texas at Austin, Texas, USA

 Institution/Organization: University of Texas at Austin
Department: Germanic Studies
Web Address: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/germanic/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research,Teaching,Project Work

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

                      Germanic

The Department of Germanic Studies at the University of Texas at Austin is
currently accepting applications from candidates to pursue doctoral studies in
German culture (including literature and film); foreign language pedagogy and
applied linguistics; and theoretical linguistics.

Our faculty members are affiliated with graduate programs in related fields,
including Comparative Literature, Foreign Language Education, and Linguistics,
and are internationally recognized for their scholarship. The strengths of our
program lie mainly in nineteenth- and twentieth-century literature and
culture, and applied and theoretical linguistics. The department currently
hosts the editorial offices of German Studies Review (the journal of the
German Studies Association;
https://www.press.jhu.edu/journals/german_studies_review/), edited by
Professor Sabine Hake; and the Texas German Dialect Project
(http://tgdp.org/), directed by Professor Hans C. Boas.

The University of Texas at Austin offers outstanding research opportunities
with a first-rate university library, and the Department of Germanic Studies
encourages students to take advantage of these opportunities. We offer a broad
range of courses on topics like “The Modern Metropolis,” “Reading in the
Second Language,'' “Language Contact and Language Death in Texas,” and “Body
and Biopolitics,'' as well as classes in Danish, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian,
Yiddish, and various older Germanic languages. Our graduate students regularly
present papers at international and national conferences, publish articles in
scholarly journals, and win fellowships for study and research, as well as
teaching awards. Our alumni have also been successful at obtaining academic
and non-academic positions.

We offer financial support for graduate studies for a maximum of five years.
Funding includes fellowships, positions as assistant instructors, graduate
research assistants (both currently $8,354 per semester), or teaching
assistants (currently $6,709 per semester), tuition assistance (covers the
entire tuition), and faculty and staff health insurance benefits. We will be
able to provide outstanding candidates with additional financial support.
Participation in our teaching mission is a crucial part of our graduate
program, and we therefore strive to give all of our graduate students the
opportunity to teach in our lower-division language sequence. Advanced
graduate students may also be able to develop and teach their own courses.

Applicants should have a B.A. or M.A. in German or related field (e.g.
Comparative Literature, Linguistics, etc.), a good command of German and
English, a good academic record, a dedication to scholarly research, and an
interest in teaching German or other Germanic languages as a foreign language.