27.4361, Calls: Historical Ling, Morphology, Socioling, Syntax, Text/Corpus Ling/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 27 19:34:24 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4361. Thu Oct 27 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4361, Calls: Historical Ling, Morphology, Socioling, Syntax, Text/Corpus Ling/Germany

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 15:34:15
From: Hiwa Asadpour [hiva.dandelion at gmail.com]
Subject: Language Contact and Language Change in Western Asia

Full Title: Language Contact and Language Change in Western Asia
Short Title: LaCLaCWA

Date: 10-Mar-2017 - 12-Mar-2017
Location: Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany
Contact Person: GRADE DocAG
Meeting Email: LCLCWAConference at gmail.com
Web Site: https://www.facebook.com/Humanities-and-Linguistics-Cross-Disciplinary-Approaches-1668887300067775/

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Morphology; Sociolinguistics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Dec-2016

Meeting Description:

The conference ''Language Contact and Language Change in Western Asia''
focuses on multilingualism in Western Asia. By Western Asia, we aim at
focusing on the Kurdish-populated areas in the regions of Iran, Iraq, Syria,
Turkey and the neighboring countries Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia. In this
area, several Indo-European varieties are spoken, including Armenian, Kurdish
varieties, and Persian. A number of non-Indo-European languages are spoken as
well, such as Azeri Turkish, Neo-Aramaic, and Turkish. Finally Georgian and
other Caucasian languages are also spoken in the region. Arabic, Persian and
Turkish languages exhibit a suprastratum of Semitic, Iranian and Turkic
languages due to close contact with the above-mentioned languages for
centuries.

The conference explores the use of corpus methods in descriptive and
theoretical analysis of word order change of natural languages in a
multilingual area like Western Asia. Focal areas of interest include, but are
not limited to language contact and language change in word order, information
structure, and prosody. Furthermore, we are interested in theoretical and
methodological issues pertaining to corpus-oriented research in language
contact, i.e. tools, methods, and techniques in corpus assembly, annotation
and analysis, the interaction between corpus linguistics and computational
linguistics, the relevance of corpus linguistics and linguistic theory, the
use of statistical and quantitative methods in detecting patterns of language
change, as well as the impact of corpus-based vs. corpus-driven approaches on
our view and understanding of morphosyntatic change in languages.

Invited Speakers:

Prof. Dr. Chyet, Michael (Library of Congress, Washington DC., US)
Prof. Dr. Gippert, Jost (Goethe University of Frankfurt, Germany)
Prof. Dr. Haspelmath, Martin (MPI-SHH Jena & Leipzig University, Germany)
Prof. Dr. Khan, Geoffrey (University of Cambridge, UK)
Prof. Dr. Matras, Yaron, (Manchester University, UK)
Prof. Dr. Donabedian, Anaid (Labex EFL, Inalco, SeDyL, Paris, France)

Conference Fee:

The conference fees listed below are in Euros

Full pack (including the main conference, three days of tutorials and
workshops, refreshments, and conference dinner on Friday):

Frankfurt-based student: 35
Student: 55
Regular: 80

Main conference only:

Frankfurt-based student: 12
Student: 35
Regular: 65

Sponsors:

We gratefully acknowledge the continued support of our principal sponsors
GRADE and the Department of Comparative Linguistics at the University of
Frankfurt.

More information will be announced in December 2016. We are looking forward to
hosting you in Frankfurt.

Call for Papers:

Submissions:

Proposals are open to anyone but we especially welcome:

1. Postgraduate students (MA, MPhil, MSt, etc.);
2. PhD students/candidates and post-docs at any stage of their degree.

We invite submissions of preliminary abstracts (max. 1 page, excluding
references) for 20 minute presentations. Please send your abstracts through
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=lclcwa2017 by 15 December 2016.

Important Dates:

15 December 2016: Call deadline (submission of abstracts)
10 January 2017: Notification of acceptance

Scientific Committee:

Prof. Dr. Eleanor Coghill (Uppsala University, Sweden)
Prof. Dr. Geoffrey Haig (Bamberg University, Germany)
PD Dr. Agnes Korn (Labex EFL, Inalco, Paris, France)
PD Dr. Irina Nevskaya (Goethe University of Frankfurt, Germany)
Dr. Thomas Jügel (Labex EFL, Inalco, Paris, France)
Dr. Mojtaba Moshi Zadeh (Allameh Tabatab'i University, Iran)
Dr. Zahra Abolhassani Chimeh (Research Center, SAMT, Iran)

Your Organization Committee:

Hiwa Asadpour (Founding Chair)
Peter Reimer, Daniel Krauße (Coordinators)

Inquiries and contact: LCLCWAConference at gmail.com

                       Fund Drive 2016

          http://multitree.org/