27.4363, Calls: Anthro Ling, Socioling/Finland

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 27 19:35:18 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4363. Thu Oct 27 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4363, Calls: Anthro Ling, Socioling/Finland

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 15:35:11
From: Minna Nevala [minna.nevala at uta.fi]
Subject: Language and Democracy

Full Title: Language and Democracy

Date: 24-Aug-2017 - 26-Aug-2017
Location: Tampere, Finland
Contact Person: Veera Saarimäki
Meeting Email: langdem2017 at uta.fi
Web Site: http://www.uta.fi/ltl/en/language_democracy/english.html

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2017

Meeting Description:

We are pleased to announce an international conference on Language and
Democracy organized by the Modern Language Society, to be held at the
University of Tampere on 24-26 August 2017.

To celebrate the 130th anniversary of the Society and the 100th anniversary of
the Finnish Declaration of Independence, we seek to enhance our understanding
of the notion of “democracy” in language use, and particularly invite papers
that systematically study democratic language practices in a socio-cultural
context, or model the interplay of language and democracy from a more
theoretical perspective.

The key themes of the conference are language and equality, language
ideologies, language policies, multilingualism, discourses of democracy, and
media discourse and democracy.

The following plenary speakers have confirmed their participation:

Professor Ruth Wodak, University of Lancaster
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/linguistics/about-us/people/Ruth-Wodak

Professor Jörg Kilian, Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
https://www.germanistik.uni-kiel.de/de/lehrbereiche/didaktik-der-deutschen-spr
ache/mitarbeiter/joerg-kilian

Professor Sirpa Leppänen, University of Jyväskylä
https://www.jyu.fi/hum/laitokset/kielet/tutkimus/hankkeet/lgsd/team/leppanen

Dr Albin Wagener, IMIE Angers, CoDiRe, Université de Nantes
http://albinwagener.wixsite.com/awagener

Call for Papers:

The working languages of the conference are English, French and German, but
the papers examining the relationship of language and democracy in other
languages are also welcome.

The deadline for abstracts is 31 January 2017. Please send your abstract of
300-500 words as a PDF to langdem2017 at uta.fi.

Organizing Committee:

Dinah Krenzler-Behm, University of Tampere
Meri Larjavaara, Åbo Akademi
Annikki Liimatainen, University of Tampere
Minna Nevala, University of Tampere
Päivi Pahta (chair), University of Tampere
Veera Saarimäki (secretary), University of Tampere
Ulla Tuomarla, University of Helsinki

                       Fund Drive 2016