27.4394, Qs: The Proper Position of Adverb

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 28 19:56:30 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4394. Fri Oct 28 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4394, Qs: The Proper Position of Adverb

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 15:56:20
From: Aya Ejima [aya.osawazemi at gmail.com]
Subject: The Proper Position of Adverb

Hi, I am a student majoring in English linguistics at a university.

I am going to study about the position of adverbs infinitive.

The aim of this query is to investigate proper position of adverbs by
following sentences.

(1) My father tried to stop smoking deliberately.
(2) My father tried deliberately to stop smoking.

In prescriptive grammar, adverbs locate after verbs or at the end of a
sentence. But I think the verb phrase ''tried to'' is interrupted by inserting
an adverb in (2). I am wondering whether it is impossible for the sentence
including the infinitive to be separated by inserting an adverb.

Please tell me which sentence is more natural and correct, and what are
differences between (1) and (2). Please feel free to answer and comment at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeTaVMjZ4VRshMknUS0e4Bb7YKbrbkxCu8Z2k
RbbOIbVg7cpg/viewform?c=0&w=1 .

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax

Subject Language(s): English (eng)