27.4400, Confs: Lang Acquisition, Ling Theories, Phonetics, Phonology/Switzerland

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 30 19:21:41 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-4400. Sun Oct 30 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.4400, Confs: Lang Acquisition, Ling Theories, Phonetics, Phonology/Switzerland

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 15:21:31
From: Magdalena Wrembel [magdala at wa.amu.edu.pl]
Subject: Modelling the Acquisition of Foreign Language Speech

Modelling the Acquisition of Foreign Language Speech

Date: 10-Sep-2017 - 13-Sep-2017
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Contact: Magdalena Wrembel
Contact Email: magdala at wa.amu.edu.pl

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories; Phonetics; Phonology

Meeting Description:

Modelling the acquisition of foreign language speech: old meets new

This Workshop is intended to focus on modelling of phonological aspects of
foreign language acquisition. Both acquisition and phonology, as areas of
linguistic inquiry, have been considerably underrepresented in recent years at
general linguistic conferences, such as SLE, therefore, our aim is  to redress
the existing imbalance.

The study of second language speech has emerged over the past few decades, and
recently we have witnessed an upsurge of publications that provide a
state-of-the-art overview of major issues in L2 speech perception and
production and reflect a rapidly growing importance of this area of language
studies (e.g. Bohn & Munro (2007), Hansen Edwards and Zampini (2008), Gut
(2009), Wrembel, Kul and Dziubalska-Kołaczyk (2011)).

As far as the theoretical models of L2 phonological acquisition are concerned,
the two most influential and most often quoted proposals include Best’s
Perceptual Assimilation Model (PAM) and Flege’s Speech Learning Model (SLM).
These theoretical constructs have been widely tested in empirical
investigations (cf. Bohn & Munro 2007, Hansen Edwards & Zampini 2008).
However, the traditional frameworks have been quite limited in number and
scope and they suffer from some limitations.

The workshop aims to investigate the explanatory potential of the existing
theories of acquisition of foreign language phonology and shed new light on
the recent developments in the area and their potential impact on modelling
this process. For instance, new technologies have enabled scholars in the
field to pursue a wider range of problems and to employ new methodologies to
speech related research, including fine-grained phonetic analysis or
phonetically annotated corpora. Further, novel interdisciplinary approaches
have been adopted to the exploration of L2 phonology featuring, among others,
insights from neurolinguistics and psycholinguistics. Moreover, assuming a
multilingual perspective has led to the expansion of the field to multilingual
acquisition reflecting its central phenomenon of cross-linguistic influence,
which implies multidirectionality and involves all the languages from the
mulitlingual person's repertoire, including the L1.

The workshop will address the following questions:

- What is the status of phonetic categories in the traditional models? Do they
have any phonological correspondence?
- Are traditional frameworks able to account for the complex phenomena in the
context of multilingual acquisition and to overcome a bilingual bias?
- Do they allow for cross-linguistic influence rather than unidirectional
transfer?
- Can they account for the process of L1 attrition?
- Do we still look for a bigger picture, an explanatory framework when
interpreting our empirical data? Do we seek an explanation rather than
concentrate on small details?
- What does interdisciplinary research contribute to the modelling of speech
acquisition?
- Can we expand explanatory potential by transferring/ incorporating insights
from interdisciplinary research?

We aim to review the development of the long-standing frameworks and explore
whether they have responded to new challenges and developments in the research
on speech. We want to seek alternative explanatory frameworks to overcome the
above mentioned limitations of the existing models.

Workshop convenors:

Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk
Magdalena Wrembel

                       Fund Drive 2016