27.3466, Calls: Disc Analysis, Hist Ling, Lang Doc, Socioling/Japan

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 1 18:36:38 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-3466. Thu Sep 01 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.3466, Calls: Disc Analysis, Hist Ling, Lang Doc, Socioling/Japan

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:35:43
From: Yoshiyuki Asahi [yasahi at ninjal.ac.jp]
Subject: 16th International Conference on Methods in Dialectology

Full Title: 16th International Conference on Methods in Dialectology
Short Title: METHODS XVI

Date: 07-Aug-2017 - 11-Aug-2017
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact Person: Yoshiyuki Asahi
Meeting Email: yasahi at ninjal.ac.jp
Web Site: https://pj.ninjal.ac.jp/Methodsxvi

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 06-Jan-2017

Meeting Description:

We are pleased to announce that the Sixteenth International Conference on
Methods in  Dialectology (METHODS XVI) will be held at Tachikawa in Tokyo,
Japan,  between 7 August and 11 August 2017. METHODS XVI is hosted by NINJAL
(National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics. You can find
information about NINJAL at https://www.ninjal.ac.jp/english/).

Methods in Dialectology conferences have been taking place every three years
since 1972, at venues generally alternating between Europe and Canada.
Beginning as a forum for the discussion of methodological issues in dialect
research, they have steadily expanded their scope and now encompass the entire
range of matters of regional, historical, and social language variation. Any
and all languages are included within the compass of the Methods series.
Methods XVI will be held for the first time in Asia.

Information concerning METHODS XVI is available on the conference webpage and
the facebook site. For the facebook site, please visit
https://www.facebook.com/methodsxvi2017tachikawa/

We are proud to announce that the following speakers have accepted our
invitation to deliver keynote addresses at the conference:

Xu Daming (University of Macao, MACAO)
Daniel Long (Tokyo Metropolitan University, JAPAN)
Paul Kerswill (University of York, UK)
Jeff Siegel (University of New England, AUSTRALIA)
Yukari Tanaka (Nihon University, JAPAN)

We would like as many of you as possible to visit Japan for the next METHODS
in August 2017.

If you have any inquiries about the Methods, please e-mail the Organizing
Committee Chair, Yoshiyuki Asahi, at yasahi at ninjal.ac.jp or
methodsxvi at gmail.com.

Call for Papers:

We would like to invite all of the participants from previous METHODS
conferences to apply for paper, poster presentation as well as for workshops
and, of course, to participate in the METHODS XVI.

We invite papers on all subjects in the field of dialectology, on any language
and on any topic related to regional, social or historical variation in
language. We particularly welcome submissions that address the main theme of
the conference, Dialect Contact, Acquisition, and Innovation. We also urge
scientists working in fields outside linguistics, but who are involved with
technologies or methodologies that can be applied to the investigation of
linguistic variation, to submit papers for this conference. Presentations will
be 20 minutes in length, followed by a 10-minute discussion period. There will
also be sessions for poster presentations.

Abstracts for papers or posters should be no more than 300 words excluding
bibliography and can be submitted using EasyAbs. Please submit your abstract
in a .txt or .doc(x) format. We strive towards a double-blind reviewing of the
abstracts; please make the abstract as anonymous as possible. The abstract
deadline is 6 January 2017. Authors will be notified of acceptance in February
2017. Each participant may have at most two contributions at the conference,
one as author and one as co-author.

Abstract submission site: http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/methodsxvi

Awards for Best Papers and Posters from Young Scholars:

The organizing committee of Methods XVI is happy to announce that we will be
awarding a 50,000 JPY prize to the best paper and the best poster presented by
young scholars at Methods XVI. A young scholar is a (graduate) student or a
post-doc whose Ph.D. was awarded after August 2014. Please indicate on the
abstract whether you might be eligible for such an award.

Call for Workshops and Special Sessions:

We welcome proposals for workshops and special sessions for Methods XVI.
Workshops may be concerned with particular methodological instruments,
technological innovations or special themes. Special sessions may have a
particular focus on a language group or a specific topic in dialectology.
Proposals for workshops or special sessions should include an overview of the
topic and importance of the session, in no more than 500 words. In addition
the proposal should name the invited panelists, the titles of their
presentations, the text of the call for papers (if applicable), and a
statement of the relevance of the workshop to Methods XVI. The deadline for
submitting a special session proposal is on 1 December, 2016.

Important Dates:

Deadline for Workshop or Special Session Proposals: 1 December 2016
Deadline for general paper or poster abstracts: 6 January 2017
Notification of acceptance: 28 February 2017
Registration for the conference begins 1 March 2017

If you have any inquiries about the Methods, please e-mail
methodsxvi at gmail.com.

Yoshiyuki Asahi
Chair, Organizing Committee of Methods XVI, NINJAL

                       Fund Drive 2016

          http://multitree.org/