27.3699, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics, Writing Systems/Switzerland

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 19 19:30:49 UTC 2016

LINGUIST List: Vol-27-3699. Mon Sep 19 2016. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 27.3699, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics, Writing Systems/Switzerland

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry,
                                   Robert Coté, Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 15:30:35
From: Vanessa Jaroski [vanessa.jaroski at ens.unibe.ch]
Subject: Visualizing (in) the New Media

Full Title: Visualizing (in) the New Media

Date: 08-Nov-2017 - 10-Nov-2017
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland
Contact Person: Vanessa Jaroski
Meeting Email: contact.vinm2017 at unine.ch
Web Site: http://www2.unine.ch/vinm2017

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics; Writing Systems

Call Deadline: 28-Feb-2017

Meeting Description:

In November 2017, the Universities of Neuchâtel, Zurich and Bern in
Switzerland will host the first international conference to focus specifically
on visual communication in/about new media.

Keynote Speakers:

We are delighted to announce that the following prominent scholars have agreed
to make keynote presentations. Each of these people is an established expert
in the broadly conceived field of “digital discourse” studies, all of whom
deal with the ways digital communication functions as a multimodal phenomenon.

- Rodney Jones
Professor of Sociolinguistics and New Media, Reading University, England
http://www.reading.ac.uk/english-language-and-applied-linguistics/Aboutus/Staf
f/r-h-jones.aspx

- Gudrun Ledegen
Professor of Sociolinguistics, University of Rennes 2, France
http://perso.univ-rennes2.fr/gudrun.ledegen

- Sirpa Leppänen
Professor of Discourse Studies, University of Jyväskylä, Finland
https://www.jyu.fi/hum/laitokset/kielet/tutkimus/hankkeet/lgsd/team/leppanen

- Hartmut Stöckl
Professor of English and Applied Linguistics, University of Salzburg, Austria
http://stoeckl.sbg.ac.at/Stoeckl/Startseite_2.html

Call for Papers:

We invite the submission of abstracts for scholarly presentations in any of
four overlapping thematic areas.

1. Social interaction:

Here, we envisage presentations that focus on the communicative uses of visual
resources in the context of new media. For example, orthography and
typography, graphematic design, the use of emojis (pictograms, emoticons,
smilies), and/or the social-interactional uses of video, GIFs and non-moving
images.

2. Meta-discourse:

Here, we envisage presentations that focus on people's talk or writing about
visual practices. For example, journalistic commentary about visual practices
in new media (the use of emojis, for instance) or communicators' discussions
about their own or others' visual practices in new media spaces.

3. Visual ideologies:

Here, we envisage presentations that focus on the visual depiction of new
media in, for example, the context of commercial advertising, print or
broadcast news, cinema and television narratives and/or public policy and
educational settings.

4. Industrial design:

Here, we envisage presentations that focus on perspectives related to, for
example, the visual-material design of technologies and apps, as well as the
look or layout of screen interfaces, especially insofar as they concern the
communicative (as opposed to technical) affordances of new media.

In selecting presentations, the conference team will privilege those adopting
a multimodal approach to visual communication; in other words, studies that
focus on visuality but attend to its interaction with other communicative
modes (especially linguistic ones). We take a broad and critical approach to
labels like ''new'', ''digital'' and ''mobile'' as they are applied to
communication technologies. We are nonetheless principally interested in more
current, social, interactive media spaces such as micro-blogging, messaging,
forums, gaming, video- and photo-sharing, and social networking.

Submission Process:

The principal language of the conference will be English; however, the
conference team welcome presentations and posters presented in German, French,
and Italian (ideally, with slides or handouts offered in English). In such an
interdisciplinary field, we also invite presenters to use their preferred
style of delivery, whether it's a read paper, an unscripted slideshow or some
combination of the two.

Titles, abstracts and basic biographical information should be submitted using
our online submission system available here:
https://www.conftool.net/vinm2017/

Abstracts should be between 300 and 500 words and written in the same language
as the presentation or poster. If the abstract is in a language other than
English, please provide a list of five keywords in English. We ask that you
also indicate which of our four thematic areas (above) your paper addresses as
well as if it is a presentation or a poster. The deadline for proposals is
February 28 2017 with an anticipated decision date of April 30 2017.

Registration:

Official conference registration will begin on May 1 2017 and end on August 15
2017.

Registration fee: CHF 70
Registration fee (full-time students/doctoral candidates): CHF 40

If you have any questions, please send an email to the conference organizers
at this address: contact.vinm2017 at unine.ch.

Conference Organizers:

Etienne Morel
Christina Siever