28.1618, Calls: Pragmatics/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 3 19:53:41 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1618. Mon Apr 03 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1618, Calls: Pragmatics/UK

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 15:53:28
From: Pilar Blitvich [pgblitvi at uncc.edu]
Subject: Post-civility and ALT-Impoliteness Panel

Full Title: Post-civility and ALT-Impoliteness Panel

Date: 12-Jul-2017 - 14-Jul-2017
Location: York, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Pilar Blitvich
Meeting Email: pgblitvi at uncc.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics

Call Deadline: 15-Apr-2017

Meeting Description:

The post truth era characterized, among others, by alternative facts and fake
news has made it evident to the public at large that the definitions of true
and false are clearly subject to discursive struggle. The assumption of truth
is, however, fundamental to society. According to Keyes (2004), society would
crumble if we assumed others were as likely to mislead as they were to tell
the truth. Keys warns us that we are dangerously close to that point.  Not
only notions of truth, but notions of what counts as civility as a necessary
foundation of public discourse (Sellers, 2004) are also under close, societal
scrutiny.

Crucially for this panel, truth and civility are frequently seen as
intertwined. Recently, a fake news webpage editor argued on a segment of the
US program Sixty Minutes that fake news headlines need to be incendiary to
increase their likelihood of being believed (recent examples are articles
accusing Hilary Clinton of supporting the mutilating and abusing of children,
Barbwire, October 8, 2016). It seems that, in an extremely polarized world,
information rings truer if it constructs those people or ideologies you abhor
in a negative light, in extremely uncivil terms. This has led some to argue
that civility is one of the casualties of the post-truth era.

Although civility/incivility are broader terms than politeness/impoliteness,
we can bring them together by arguing that politeness and impoliteness refer
to the linguistic part of civility and incivility (Garcés-Conejos Blitvich,
2010; Lorenzo Dus, Garcés-Conejos Blitvich, Bou-Franch, 2011).

The aim of this panel is to delve into the reasons behind the massive turn to
impoliteness in public (institutional and non-institutional) discourse, to
understand why it has become such a powerful weapon in the hands of so many,
and how it relates to understandings of truth.

Panel convenors: Pilar G. Blitvich and Patricia Bou-Franch

You can reach us at:

Pilar G. Blitvich pgblitvi at uncc.edu
Patricia Bou-Franch patricia.bou at uv.es