28.1711, Meet our next Featured Linguist, Nicoletta Calzolari!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 7 15:47:04 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1711. Fri Apr 07 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1711, Meet our next Featured Linguist, Nicoletta Calzolari!

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2017 11:46:54
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear subscribers,

We are pleased to present you our next featured linguist of the 2017 Fund
Drive: Nicoletta Calzolari! Read her story and more on our blog or on our fund
drive web page:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

It is difficult to write about myself, but it can be an occasion to relive
some moments of my life. I am grateful to Damir also for this. Here some
notes, with personal memories interspersed with moments of professional life.

The beginning: the role of chance

Immediately after I graduated in philosophy, with a thesis on Logical
antinomies, I remember saying to myself: words, words, words, I have enough of
words! I did not know, but my destiny was linked to words.

So many things in life happen by chance. I moved to Pisa from Ferrara for
family reasons and I saw a notice for a grant at Pisa University in a
completely new field: Computational Linguistics. I tried applying, knowing
that it would have been impossible. But I won it. This was the beginning.

(...)

Read more:
http://blog.linguistlist.org/fund-drive/featured-linguist-nicoletta-calzolari

Please support The LINGUIST List editors and activities and donate during the
Fund Drive 2017. LINGUIST List really needs your suppport!

Thank you all!

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.