28.1856, Fund Drive: Challenge Winners will be Pronounced at the End of the Week!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 18 17:24:58 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1856. Tue Apr 18 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1856, Fund Drive: Challenge Winners will be Pronounced at the End of the Week!

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:24:49
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers,

This week, we will be featuring our Advisors from all over the world! you will
learn more about their role in the next messages. This week is also the last
week of the Challenges, your last chance to donate and support your team at
the same time! Here is an update on the leaders of the challenge so far - you
still have one week to turn everything around! And, if you've already donated,
another extremely valuable way to help us is to motivate your colleagues to do
so as well. An easy way to do this is simply to share this message!

University Challenge:

With 34 donations, the University of Washington is currently leading the
University Challenge! Only $50 dollars behind, Indiana University is only one
or two donations away. Currently in third place, Stanford University counts 21
donors, but still needs to catch up! These three Universities are also the
ones to count the largest number of donations - the only ones to have over 20
donors to the LINGUIST List!

Subfield Challenge:

Syntax, our last year Champion, is $1000 ahead of Computational Linguistics,
in second position! Another $1000 behind is Semantics. Behind semantics, the
other subfields are in close competition to each other. Who will be the most
generous subfield this year?

Countries and Regions Challenge:

Behind the USA, far ahead in first position with 292 donors, Germany is
distancing the UK more and more, after a long tie: 49 and 34 donors
respectively! Overall, North America (320) so far has twice as many donors as
Europe (167) and Asia is in third position with 28 donations. These two
challenges are the most unpredictable: because they do not count the amount
donated but the number of donations, a large number of small donations can
skyrocket the score of a competitor!

Any Linguist who comes from a country, who is affiliated with a University or
who focuses on a particular area of Linguistics - i.e. each and every one of
you - automatically falls into the competing categories, whether you donate or
not! Now the question is, which of the categories will show the most interest
in the future of the LINGUIST List? Who is the most generous?

We look forward to more excitement in the competitions this week, as you
support your team and your LINGUIST List at the same time!

--the LINGUIST List crew

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.