28.1891, FYI: Online Lecture: Adam Buchwald, April 27th

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 21 01:00:02 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1891. Thu Apr 20 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1891, FYI: Online Lecture: Adam Buchwald, April 27th

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:59:53
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online Lecture: Adam Buchwald, April 27th

Thursday, April 27th, 2pm EDT
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

“Motor speech production (but not phonological production) improves following
motor training”
Adam Buchwald, Ph.D.
NYU Steinhardt

The distinction between phonological processing and motor planning has been a
persistent topic of both theoretical and clinical research. In the clinical
domain, a lot of careful work has gone into determining how to differentiate
aphasia (which can affect phonology) from apraxia of speech (AOS, which
affects motor planning and/or programming). Despite the success of this work,
it is rare that AOS occurs in isolation as it frequently co-occurs with
aphasia. Thus, individuals commonly present with both phonological and motor
impairment, and the motor-based treatment literature that examines this
population frequently reports that some (but not all) participants respond to
treatment, a finding that often is related to variability in the population.

In this talk, I will first present a line of research that attempts to
determine whether there is structure in the variability that can help predict
responsiveness to intervention targeting motor learning and recovery. Leaning
on the distinction from psycholinguistic accounts between phonological and
motor components of production, I will introduce a prediction about the
relationship between the acoustics of consonant deletion errors in clusters
(e.g., snail -> _nail) and responsiveness to motor-based training in
individuals with these complex deficits. After demonstrating some success with
this approach, I discuss the next steps to move towards enhancing training
effects with transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS). In this portion
of the talk, I report on a recent study in which speech motor learning in
unimpaired speakers was enhanced with tDCS. I will then discuss the
theoretical implications of these two lines of research, and how they form the
basis of ongoing and future translational work using tDCS with individuals
with acquired speech impairment.

Location: University of South Carolina, Discovery I, Room #140, 915 Greene
Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, April 27th, 2016 Time: 2pm – 3pm EDT
This event will be catered!

The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

C-Star Lecture Series:

The Center for the Study of Aphasia Recovery (C-STAR;
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/) houses researchers who examine the
effects of behavioral treatment, brain stimulation, and residual brain
function (brain plasticity) on recovery from aphasia. C-STAR is a
collaboration between researchers from the University of South Carolina, the
Medical University of South Carolina, Johns Hopkins University, and the
University of California, Irvine. The Center is funded through the National
Institute of Deafness and Communication Disorders (NIDCD) grant #NIH P50
DC014664. Biweekly public lectures, given by members and guests of C-STAR, are
accessible live and online. Recordings of the lectures can be viewed via
C-STAR YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8p0CuG4He9nqCR4nnzhZ7w

For more information:
_____________________
Dirk-Bart den Ouden, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Communication Sciences and Disorders
Neurolinguistics Lab | http://www.mccauslandcenter.sc.edu/den_ouden/
University of South Carolina | Arnold School of Public Health
Discovery I Building, Office 202 C
915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Tel. 803-777-9241 (office) | Email: denouden at sc.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Neurolinguistics
                     Phonetics
                     Phonology

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.