28.1968, Confs: Sociolinguistics/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 27 14:48:49 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1968. Thu Apr 27 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1968, Confs: Sociolinguistics/UK

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 10:48:42
From: Grace Wenling Cao [wc778 at york.ac.uk]
Subject: The Past and Present: the Shifting Hong Kong Identity

The Past and Present: the Shifting Hong Kong Identity

Date: 26-May-2017 - 26-May-2017
Location: York, United Kingdom
Contact: Grace Wenling Cao
Contact Email: wc778 at york.ac.uk
Meeting URL: https://www.york.ac.uk/hrc/whats-on/2016-17/summer/hongkong-identity/

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

Marking the 20th year anniversary of Hong Kong’s transfer of sovereignty from
Britain to China, York is organizing a timely inter-disciplinary symposium in
2017 about one of the most debated topics, the changing Hong Kong identity.

Our symposium focuses on the changes in Hong Kong identity over time. Nine
speakers from different departments and institutions will be invited to
participate in this one-day symposium. A variety of inter-disciplinary
discussions are expected on changing attitudes towards languages, social
movements, political mobilizations and evolving identities from the 1960s to
the present.

Invited Speakers:

(Linguistics & Education)
Professor John Joseph (University of Edinburgh)
Professor Jette Hansen Edwards (The Chinese University of Hong Kong)
Professor Paul Morris (University of College London)

(History & Sociology)
Professor David Clayton (University of York)
Professor Chi-kwan Mark (Royal Holloway)
Professor Stevi Jackson (University of York)
Dr Gary Luk (University of London)

Registration is required, please click here for more information:
https://www.york.ac.uk/hrc/whats-on/2016-17/summer/hongkong-identity/

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.