28.1995, Qs: Phonetic Transcription Project

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 28 16:41:51 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1995. Fri Apr 28 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1995, Qs: Phonetic Transcription Project

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 12:41:36
From: Steven Weinberger [weinberg at gmu.edu]
Subject: Phonetic Transcription Project

Dear linguists,

We are asking you, as a student or teacher of phonetics/linguistics, to
participate in a crowdsourcing project.  You will participate as a phonetic
transcriber, and through your practice of transcribing native and non-native
speech, you will provide the speech accent archive with data to help us
develop a computational method of speech transcription.  Essentially, a
special webpage will deliver a single short audio phrase of native or
non-native English speech, 3-7 syllables in length, to be phonetically
transcribed by hundreds of phonetics students and teachers like you from all
over the world.  These transcription attempts will form a database that will
result in the best transcription for that particular audio phrase. After each
submission, you will receive the best transcription and can compare it with
your own attempt. The data we obtain will help us understand the process of
human phonetic transcription and speech perception, while serving as training
evidence for a computer algorithm.

This project has passed our university’s Institutional Review Board (IRB)
IRBnet # 968912-1 .

You are invited to visit the transcription activity.  Just visit
http://transcriber.accent.gmu.edu .  You will need to register through our
online form.  If you have any questions about the project, please do not
hesitate to ask:  phonetic at gmu.edu.

The task takes less than 10 minutes.  We need your help.   We will post our
results.

Thanks,

Steven H. Weinberger,

Steven H. Weinberger
Associate Professor
Director of Linguistics
Department of English  3e4
George Mason University
Fairfax VA 22030  USA

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.