28.3308, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Typology; Writing Systems: Linguist, Grammarly

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 4 15:09:48 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3308. Fri Aug 04 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3308, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Typology; Writing Systems: Linguist, Grammarly

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 11:09:34
From: Liubov Tropina [liubov.tropina at grammarly.com]
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Typology; Writing Systems: Linguist, Grammarly, New York, USA

University or Organization: Grammarly
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: grammarly.com
Job Title: Linguist
Job Rank: Linguist

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Typology; Writing Systems

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Effective communication is hard. It requires talent, skill, and a lot of
effort. Enter Grammarly, the first widely adopted AI communication assistant
helping people with the substance and impact of their writing. Grammarly helps
millions of people make their written communication clear, mistake-free, and
effective. With a $110 million growth equity investment, Grammarly is changing
the way the world communicates—enabling people to write exactly what they
mean, and be fully understood.

To help us reach that goal, we are looking for a bright, motivated linguist
with a passion for writing, an excellent knowledge of English grammar and
style, as well as an interest in Natural Language Processing and in developing
the next generation of communication assistance tools.

At Grammarly, our impact comes from a strong culture with highly engaged,
highly motivated team members. We hire exceptional people and reward them with
trust, autonomy, mentorship, and the freedom to grow into their roles. We’re a
passionate, growing team on a mission to improve lives by improving
communication. If you’re up for the challenge, we would love to meet you!

We seek candidates with an undergraduate or master’s degree in Linguistics who
have also taken courses or have a degree in Computational Linguistics /
Natural Language Processing (NLP). The candidate will:

- Work closely with our NLP and Machine Learning researchers to create
impactful training and evaluation data sets.
- Develop annotation guidelines and oversee annotation of data.
- Oversee and monitor large annotation projects conducted via crowdsourcing
(Mechanical Turk, for example) and/or contractors.
- Evaluate and advise on current error detection/correction suggestions and
feedback.
- Write scripts to process large corpora, prepare datasets, etc.
- Research areas in which writing and communication can be computer-assisted.

Talents You Bring to the Team:

- You embody our E.A.G.E.R. values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic,
Remarkable).
- Your knowledge of English grammar and syntax is excellent.
- You are able to make reliable grammaticality judgments.
- You have a proficiency at the scripting level in at least one programming
language (preferably Python).
- You have outstanding communication skills, oral, written, and listening, to
enable collaboration with many different teams (both internal and external)
simultaneously.

Nice to have:

- Knowledge of and experience with NLP algorithms, theories, and toolkits.
- Knowledge of statistics.
- Familiarity and experience with using Machine Learning for NLP tasks.
- Experience teaching ESL.

What Grammarly Offers You:

- An incredible team of co-workers and partners.
- Roles and ownership that impact our world, users, product, colleagues, and
business.
- Big goals, challenging work, fast learning cycles, practical training, and
meaningful feedback.
- Health care, parental leave and PTO plans, 401K, plus a monthly gym
reimbursement and communication coaching.

Web Address for Applications: http://bit.ly/2hupR5f
Contact Information:
	Liubov Tropina
	Email: liubov.tropina at grammarly.com