28.3311, Qs: Courses on Swearing and Other Types of Taboo Language

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 4 15:29:13 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3311. Fri Aug 04 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3311, Qs: Courses on Swearing and Other Types of Taboo Language

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2017 11:29:03
From: Laura McGarrity [lauramcg at uw.edu]

For the past few years, I have taught a course on the linguistics of swearing
and other types of taboo language. In some of my writings on the pedagogy of
this topic, I have been interested in being able to mention how many other
courses with a similar focus are being taught in Linguistics (or related)
departments, but trying to find this information online has proved a
challenge.

If you teach/offer a course on swearing, profanity, or other types of taboo
language, I’d be interested in hearing about it. I’m primarily interested in
courses in which discussion of taboo language plays a significant role (say,
the focus of at least half of the course), not those in which only a few
discussions/lectures are dedicated to the topic. If you would, please share
your name, title, affiliation, department, the name of the course, and perhaps
a brief description of the course and/or some of the topics you cover. If
you’re willing to share a syllabus (or link to a course site), that would be a
bonus. (I'm happy to reciprocate.) I will share a summary of what I find.

Thank you,

Laura McGarrity
lauramcg at uw.edu
Senior Lecturer, Linguistics
University of Washington
Instructor of LING 269: Swearing and Taboo Language

          http://multitree.org/