28.3507, Jobs: Cognitive Science; General Lingusitics: Post Doc, Dutch Research Consortium: Language in Interaction

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 23 16:03:05 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3507. Wed Aug 23 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3507, Jobs: Cognitive Science; General Lingusitics: Post Doc, Dutch Research Consortium: Language in Interaction

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 12:03:03
From: Julia Verhoef [j.verhoef at donders.ru.nl]
Subject: Cognitive Science; General Lingusitics: Post Doc, Dutch Research Consortium: Language in Interaction, Netherlands

University or Organization: Dutch Research Consortium: Language in Interaction
Job Location: Nijmegen/Amsterdam, Netherlands
Job Title: https://www.languageininteraction.nl/
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics

The Netherlands has an outstanding track record in the language sciences. The
Language in Interaction research consortium, sponsored by a large grant from
the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), brings together
many of the excellent research groups in the Netherlands with a research
programme on the foundations of language.

In addition to excellence in the domain of language and related relevant
fields of cognition, our consortium provides state-of-the-art research
facilities and a research team with ample experience in the complex research
methods that will be invoked to address the scientific questions at the
highest level of methodological sophistication. These include methods from
genetics, neuroimaging, computational modelling, and patient-related research.
This consortium realises both quality and critical mass for studying human
language at a scale not easily found anywhere else.

We have identified five Big Questions (BQ) that are central to our
understanding of the human language faculty. These questions are interrelated
at multiple levels. Teams of researchers will collaborate to collectively
address these key questions of our field.

Our five Big Questions are:

BQ1: The nature of the mental lexicon: How to bridge neurobiology and
psycholinguistic theory by computational modelling?

BQ2: What are the characteristics and consequences of internal brain
organization for language?

BQ3: Creating a shared cognitive space: How is language grounded in and shaped
by communicative settings of interacting people?

BQ4: Variability in language processing and in language learning: Why does the
ability to learn language change with age? How can we characterise and map
individual language skills in relation to the population distribution?

BQ5: How are other cognitive systems shaped by the presence of a language
system in humans?

Successful candidates will be appointed at one of the consortium’s home
institutions, depending on the position applied for. All successful candidates
will become members of our Big Question teams. The research is conducted in an
international setting at all participating institutions. English is the lingua
franca.

Application Deadline: 10-Oct-2017

Web Address for Applications: http://bit.ly/2v5N83K
Contact Information: