28.3511, Calls: Gen Ling, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics, Syntax, Typology/South Africa

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 23 17:27:59 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3511. Wed Aug 23 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3511, Calls: Gen Ling, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics, Syntax, Typology/South Africa

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 13:27:51
From: Anne Mucha [mucha at ids-mannheim.de]
Subject: Non-Canonical Control Phenomena

Full Title: Non-Canonical Control Phenomena

Date: 02-Jul-2018 - 06-Jul-2018
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Contact Person: Anne Mucha
Meeting Email: mucha at ids-mannheim.de
Web Site: http://www.icl20capetown.com/index.php/2016-06-20-10-33-33/abstracts

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Typology

Call Deadline: 31-Aug-2017

Meeting Description:

This workshop is part of the 20th International Congress of Linguists (ICL 20)

Across the world's languages, we find a wide variety of phenomena that can be
regarded as instances of control in that they involve a referentially
dependent unpronounced subject in an embedded (typically non-finite) clause.
While the canonical cases of obligatory exhaustive control (including both
subject and object control) are well-researched, the nature and analysis of
what we refer to as ''non-canonical control'' is still subject to substantive
discussion and the empirical generalizations are less clear. Non-canonical
control phenomena by our definition include, but are not restricted to,
anti-control, backward control, and control shift, as well as cases of
non-obligatory and/or non-exhaustive control such as split-control, partial
control, and implicit control (see Stiebels 2007 for a survey of relevant
phenomena).

Investigation of these non-canonical control structures has proven fruitful
both from a typological and from a theoretical point of view. For instance,
differences in the control properties of infinitive-selecting predicates have
been shown to correlate with the syntactic structure as well as with the
temporal and modal interpretation of the embedded control constituent in
interesting ways (see e.g. Landau 1999; Pearson 2016; Brandt, Trawinski &
Wöllstein 2016). While the theoretical literature on control phenomena is
extensive and controversial (for an overview see Landau 2013), controversy
partly originates from disagreement over what the exact empirical
generalizations are (for discussion see e.g.  Polinsky & Potsdam 2006 on
backward control, and White & Grano 2014 on partial control).

Workshop organizers: Jutta Hartmann, Anne Mucha, Beata Trawinski, Angelika
Wöllstein (IDS Mannheim, Germany)