28.5086, Internships: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics: Internship, ILLC NSF Research Experience

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 4 18:31:34 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-5086. Mon Dec 04 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.5086, Internships: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics: Internship, ILLC NSF Research Experience

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 13:31:30
From: Isabelle Barriere [isabelle.barriere at gmail.com]

University or Organization: Liu
Department: Communication Sciences & Disorders
Web Address: https://undergrad-language-research.org/

                     General Linguistics

Duration: 01-Sep-2018 to 08-Jul-2019
Compensation: Paid 6,500.00
Internship Location: New York, USA
Minimum Education Level: No Minimum
Special Qualifications: All undergraduate students who are US citizens or permanent residents, who will still be enrolled as undergraduate students in college/university in 2018-2019 and reside in NY are welcome to apply.   We especially encourage applications from students who are members of underrepresented groups in the Speech-Language-Hearing-Communication and Cognitive Sciences which include but are not limited to:
- students who are racial/ethnic minorities, first-generation college students, women, and veterans and those who are or have been enrolled in community colleges
- students who are familiar with a Language Other Than English (LOTE), a Sign Language, and/or with varieties of English that differ from Mainstream American English (e.g. African American English, Jamaican English etc)
- students who have experienced educational or economic disadvantage or other personal circumstances that may have impeded their transition to the next stage of training towards a science career.

Last year, thanks to your assistance, we were able to recruit an excellent
pool of candidates for our NSF Research Experience for Undergraduate Students
Intersection of Linguistics, Language and Culture Fellowship (see their
profiles on
https://undergrad-language-research.org/people/undergraduate-researchers-2017-
2018/).  We are excited to announce that the next round of recruitment is now
underway! We would be grateful if you could distribute the information about
our program again this year.  The application is now online and the deadline
is April 15 2018 for the 2018-2019 program:
https://undergrad-language-research.org/apply/

We are recruiting talented undergraduate students residing in the NY area from
(but not limited to) historically disadvantaged groups to partake in year-long
program to engage in research on language(s) and benefit from workshops that
will help them prepare for the next steps in their educational journey.  The
14 Students selected for the program will be awarded a stipend of $6,500 a
year for participation in the program: $2,000 for 12 weeks in the Fall
semester, $2,000 for 12 weeks in the Spring semester and $2,500 in the summer
(June and first week of July) to compensate for their work.

Application Deadline: 15-Apr-2018

Web Address for Applications:https://undergrad-language-research.org/apply/
Contact Information:
	Ms. Syelle Graves