28.5128, FYI: Online Lecture: ''Ventral Speech Stream Revisited''

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 6 15:28:16 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-5128. Wed Dec 06 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.5128, FYI: Online Lecture: ''Ventral Speech Stream Revisited''

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 10:28:08
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]

Thursday, December 14th, 2pm EDT
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

The Ventral Speech Stream Revisited
Greg Hickok, Ph.D.
University of California, Irvine.

This talk reconsiders the functional anatomy of the ventral speech stream
including a discussion of what we agree on, what is contentious, and how we
might move forward. We start by clarifying the distinction between the two
ways that the term “ventral stream” is used: in referring to (1) a process,
mapping auditory speech input onto conceptual knowledge and (2) the anatomy
involved in this process, predominantly the temporal lobe. These are logically
independent ideas and keeping them distinct helps clarify discussions about
the reliance of different processes, e.g., naming, on ”dorsal” versus “ventral
stream” networks. Next, we’ll discuss points of agreement—that the superior
and lateral temporal lobe is the major hub of the ventral stream—and summarize
some old and new evidence for this view. Then, we will examine different
claims about the major pathways within the ventral stream comparing the
anterior versus posterior stream hypotheses.  I will then propose a new model
in which a mid-posterior superior temporal Auditory Phonological Area (APA)
interfaces with two ventral streams, one anterior, which supports mapping
auditory-phonological networks onto entity knowledge and one posterior, which
supports mapping auditory-phonological systems onto event knowledge. I will
end with some conjectures regarding the functional anatomy of syntactic
processes, suggesting, following some recent proposals, that the posterior
lateral temporal lobe is the critical hub.

The lecture will be held at the University of California, Irvine. However, the
lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or smartphone,
via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

For more information, please contact:

Dirk-Bart den Ouden, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Communication Sciences and Disorders
Neurolinguistics Lab | http://www.mccauslandcenter.sc.edu/den_ouden/
University of South Carolina | Arnold School of Public Health
Discovery I Building, Office 202 C
915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Tel. 803-777-9241 (office) | Email: denouden at sc.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science