28.5147, Calls: General Linguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 7 04:57:36 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-5147. Wed Dec 06 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.5147, Calls: General Linguistics/USA

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 23:57:21
From: Jennifer Zhang [ills-conference at illinois.edu]
Subject: 10th Annual Meeting of the Illinois Language and Linguistics Society

Full Title: 10th Annual Meeting of the Illinois Language and Linguistics Society
Short Title: ILLS10

Date: 06-Apr-2018 - 08-Apr-2018
Location: Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA
Contact Person: Jennifer Zhang
Meeting Email: ills-conference at illinois.edu
Web Site: http://ills.linguistics.illinois.edu/

Call Deadline: 08-Jan-2018

Meeting Description:

The ILLS annual conference is proud to be entirely student-organized and
operated by the Linguistics Student Organization at the University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign. ILLS is a general linguistics conference open to all
subfields and primarily encourages the submission of abstracts by graduate
students. Our theme this year, as we celebrate 10 years of ILLS is:
Interdisciplinary Connect10ns in Linguistics.

In line with our chosen theme for this year, “Interdisciplinary Connect10ns in
Linguistics”, we believe that ILLS10 will present an exceptional opportunity
for scholars to advance their field through exposure to ideas and insights of
related disciplines which can then be applied to their own research. We hold
that an interdisciplinary exchange of ideas and a collaborative approach to
language from a multitude of avenues is fundamental to the advancement of
language research and the subsequent understanding of our world, cultures and
societies. Our speakers for this year reflect the diversity of the fields
related to the study of language.

Plenary Speakers:

Cecilia Ovesdotter Alm (Rochester Institute of Technology)
Mary Beckman (The Ohio State University)
Kiel Christianson (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
Kenneth de Jong (Indiana University Bloomington)
Hans Henrich Hock (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
Salikoko S. Mufwene (University of Chicago)

Additionally, we will be holding a special session on “Bilingualism in
Late-Modernity” on Saturday. This parasession will explore the issue of
bilingualism as practiced, and theorized, in contemporary society, inviting
works that (a) theorize the dialectic of complexity and homogenization in the
study of bilingualism, (b) present theoretically sophisticated empirical
research on the under-studied bi-/multi-lingual regions of the worlds, and (c)
challenge the old, or new, theoretical and methodological paradigms in the
study of bilingualism.

Special Session Speakers:

Agnes Bolonyai (North Carolina State University)
Jeff MacSwan (University of Maryland)

Call for Papers:

We are pleased to announce that submissions are now open for the 10th Annual
Meeting of the Illinois Language and Linguistics Society (ILLS10), which will
be held from April 6-8, 2018 at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign. ILLS is an annual graduate student-run conference aimed
primarily at providing graduate and advanced undergraduate students a friendly
venue in which to present and discuss research on any topic related to
language and linguistics.

Submissions are limited to two abstracts per author: one single-author
abstract and one multi-author abstract OR two multi-author abstracts. The
student must be the first author and presenter. Abstracts should be maximum
500 words, with one extra page allowed for images, data, and/or references.
Full references are not necessary; please use the (Author, Year) format.
Abstracts should be submitted in PDF format with no identifying information of
the presenter in the document.

To submit an abstract, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/ILLS10 .

Deadline for abstract submission: January 8, 2018, 11:59pm.
Authors will be notified of abstract decisions in February, 2018.

For more details, please visit our website
(http://ills.linguistics.illinois.edu/) or contact us at
ills-conference at illinois.edu.

          http://multitree.org/