28.5197, FYI: Linguistics Unlimited - Closing Down

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 8 19:51:19 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-5197. Fri Dec 08 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.5197, FYI: Linguistics Unlimited - Closing Down

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 14:51:12
From: Thomas Doukas [thomas.doukas at aol.com]
Subject: Linguistics Unlimited - Closing Down

Dear all

The editorial board of LU has decided to terminate LU's activity and close the
journal and website down. The reasons for this decision are the following.
Although we have published 2 papers, the submission rates for LU are very low
or often of very low quality (which we reject of course). We have tried over
the years to attract publications but this has been proved a very difficult
task for many reasons including that well established journals with high
impact factors, attract more attention, thus leaving smaller journals out the
game.

We have explored some other options for LU i.e. folding into a larger
publishing company, or one of the other editors taking it over under the
auspices of their university. Again, these options didn't materialise, and
with regret we have now decided to proceed with the closure. It is a real
shame, considering the amount of work we all have put into this effort and the
open access values and principles of LU. More importantly, we all feel we are
letting you, the authors and readers of the journal, down by proceeding with
this decision, but I am afraid we don't have any other options.

We will proceed with shutting down soon after January. In the mean time,
please get in touch if you have any questions.

As always, thanks a lot for all your support and for putting your trust in us.

          http://multitree.org/