28.5264, Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics: Senior Computational Linguist, Grammarly Inc.

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 12 19:27:08 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-5264. Tue Dec 12 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.5264, Jobs: English; Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics: Senior Computational Linguist, Grammarly Inc.

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 14:27:03
From: Tiffany Owyang [anna.ponochevnaya at grammarly.com]
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics: Senior Computational Linguist, Grammarly Inc., USA

University or Organization: Grammarly Inc.
Department: Engineering
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: https://www.grammarly.com/
Job Title: Senior Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Computational Linguist; Other

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Effective communication is hard. It requires talent, skill, and a lot of
effort. Enter Grammarly, the first widely adopted AI communication assistant
helping people with the substance and impact of their writing. Grammarly helps
millions of people make their written communication clear, mistake-free, and
effective. With a $110 million growth equity investment, Grammarly is changing
the way the world communicates—enabling people to write exactly what they
mean, and be fully understood.

To help us reach that goal, we are looking for a curious Senior Computational
Linguist with an interest in Natural Language Processing, a passion for
English, and excellent knowledge of English grammar.

At Grammarly, our impact comes from a strong culture with highly engaged,
highly motivated team members. We hire exceptional people and reward them with
trust, autonomy, mentorship, and the freedom to grow into their roles. We’re a
passionate, growing team on a mission to improve lives by improving
communication. If you’re up for the challenge, we would love to meet you!

What You Will Accomplish:

- Use rule-based and statistical methods in NLP to develop and improve
error-correction checks.
- Conduct research on a variety of tasks, work with large corpora, design
algorithms, and implement solutions for new error-correction checks.
- Research different modes, genres, and styles of writing to improve
Grammarly’s performance.
- Improve current text processing tools and implement new ones.
- Coordinate development of corpora, including data extraction, annotation,
and crowdsourced experiments.
- Coordinate resource-creation projects.
- Mentor junior computational linguists.

Talents You Bring to the Team:

- Embody our E.A.G.E.R values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic, and
Remarkable).
- MS in linguistics, computational linguistics, or another linguistics-related
discipline.
- Fluent English, great understanding of English grammar, syntax, semantics,
and usage, especially in writing.
- At least two years of experience in computational linguistics/NLP.
- Good programming skills in at least one programming language.
- Good working knowledge of NLP libraries and understanding of statistical
methods in NLP.
- Experience teaching English as a first or a second language preferred.

What Grammarly Offers You:

- Big goals, challenging work, fast learning cycles, practical training, and
meaningful feedback.
- Project exposure and ownership that impacts our world, users, product,
colleagues, and business.
- Health care, communication coaching, and great coworkers!

About Grammarly:

Grammarly’s AI-powered products help people communicate more effectively.
Grammarly is available in a variety of writing interfaces, including browser
and desktop integrations to help users in both their personal and professional
lives, whether they are communicating through email or social media, applying
for jobs, or even filling out online dating profiles. It also increases
productivity and efficiency for professionals in a wide range of fields,
including marketing, sales, engineering, customer support, and education.
Grammarly is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York and Kyiv.

The diverse experiences, ideas, and identities of Grammarly’s team members
help us make better decisions and drive great results for our users. We foster
an inclusive work environment that welcomes team members of all backgrounds
and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we evaluate candidates
based solely on talents, skills, and knowledge.

Email Address for Applications: anna.ponochevnaya at grammarly.com
Contact Information:
	Recruiter Anna Ponochevnaya
	Email: anna.ponochevnaya at grammarly.com