28.5283, Calls: Pragmatics, Semantics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 13 18:10:19 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-5283. Wed Dec 13 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.5283, Calls: Pragmatics, Semantics/Germany

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 13:10:12
From: Maria Biezma [maria.biezma at uni-konstanz.de]
Subject: Meaning in Non-Canonical Questions

Full Title: Meaning in Non-Canonical Questions
Short Title: MiQs

Date: 07-Jun-2018 - 09-Jun-2018
Location: Konstanz, Germany
Contact Person: MiQs Organizers
Meeting Email: meaning.in.questions at gmail.com
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/view/meaning-in-questions

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics; Semantics

Call Deadline: 04-Feb-2018

Meeting Description:

Much work has been done to understand the semantics and pragmatics of
interrogative clauses in natural language. In this workshop, we aim to expand
and further develop this work by focusing on non-canonical questions. We are
especially interested in papers addressing the empirical landscape and the
semantic/pragmatic modeling of the ways of raising issues that go beyond plain
information-seeking. Possible phenomena of interest include, but are by no
means limited to:

Discourse particles in interrogatives
Question-Particles in interrogative clauses (e.g. Kya in Hindi/Urdu, mI in
Turkish)
Word order in questions
Self-addressed questions
Rhetorical questions
Biased questions
Tag-Questions
Embedding of canonical and non-canonical questions
The role of prosody in shaping non-canonical questions

Invited Speakers:

Veneeta Dayal (Rutgers University)
Donka Farkas (University of California, Santa Cruz)
Benjamin Spector (CNRS - Ecole Normale Supérieure - Institut Jean Nicod)
Malte Zimmermann (Universität Potsdam)

The workshop is under the umbrella of the DFG funded research unit (FOR2111)
Questions at the interfaces
(https://typo.uni-konstanz.de/questionsInterfaces/)

Organizers:

Andrea Beltrama
María Biezma
Erlinde Meertens
Maribel Romero
Ramona Wallner

Call for Papers:

The Linguistics department at the University of Konstanz is happy to announce
a workshop on non-canonical questions to take place in June 7-9 2018. The
workshop is under the umbrella of the DFG funded research unit (FOR2111)
Questions at the interfaces
(https://typo.uni-konstanz.de/questionsInterfaces/)

We invite submission of abstracts for 30-minute oral presentations (with
additional 15 minutes for discussion). Abstracts must be anonymous and should
be at most 2 pages (US Letter or A4) in length, including examples and
references, using a 12pt font with 1 inch (2.5 cm) margins for US letter and 3
cm for A4 paper, on all four sides. Abstracts must be submitted as a single
PDF. Submissions are limited to two per author, with at most one paper being
single-authored.

Webpage: https://sites.google.com/view/meaning-in-questions
Deadline for Submission: February 4
Submission: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=miq2018