28.621, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Amazon

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 1 19:20:57 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-621. Wed Feb 01 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.621, Jobs:  Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Amazon

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)
Homepage: http://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 14:20:52
From: Melanie Amarante [melama at amazon.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Amazon, Massachusetts, USA

University or Organization: Amazon
Department: Alexa
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: https://www.amazon.jobs/
Job Title: Language Engineer
Job Rank: Computational Linguist; Other

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Interested in Amazon Echo? Come work on it. We’re building the speech and
language solutions behind Amazon Echo and other Amazon products and services.
We’re working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us!

Amazon is looking for a Language Engineer to join our data engineering team in
the area of speech and language data processing. We are seeking a candidate
with strong experience in linguistic annotation, ontologies, taxonomies,
semantic schemas. In this role, you will support new feature development by
extending existing annotation schemas to cover new concepts.

Specifically, the Language Engineer will:

- Contribute to the design of new features by extending existing annotation
schemas to cover new areas
- Collaborate with scientists and other Language Engineers in developing
coherent and comprehensive meaning representation frameworks
- Lead annotation efforts to test and solidify new representations
- Provide day-to-day coordination of data collection efforts, including
planning, scheduling, and reporting
- Measure and analyze accuracy and throughput of annotated data
- Handle competing requests from a range of data customers

Basic Qualifications

- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- 2+ years experience in computational linguistics, language data processing,
semantics, philosophy of language
- Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup
- Experience with ontologies and other semantic meaning representation schemas
- Comfortable working with speech and text language data in multiple languages
- Experience in Perl, Python, or another scripting language
- Familiarity with database queries and data analysis processes (SQL, R,
Matlab, etc.)
- Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and very detailed
oriented
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work
environment
- Willingness to support several projects at one time, and to accept
reprioritization as necessary
- Must be able to think creatively and possess strong analytical and problem
solving skills

Preferred Qualifications

- Deep expertise in building ontologies, taxonomies, and semantic meaning
representation frameworks
- Experience in writing grammars and building FSTs
- Experience with statistical language modeling
- Practical knowledge of version control and agile development
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional level of organization
- Fluency in a foreign language a plus

Application Deadline: 01-May-2017 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: melama at amazon.com
Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/467571
Contact Information:
	Melanie Amarante