28.639, Jobs: Typology: Post Doc, University of Zurich

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 2 19:25:57 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-639. Thu Feb 02 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.639, Jobs:  Typology: Post Doc, University of Zurich

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)
Homepage: http://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 14:25:52
From: Paul Widmer [paul.widmer at uzh.ch]
Subject: Typology: Post Doc, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

University or Organization: University of Zurich
Department: Department of Comparative Linguistics
Job Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Web Address: http://www.comparativelinguistics.uzh.ch/en.html
Job Title: Postdoctoral position in typology
Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Typology; Indo-Iranian

Required Language(s): Indo-European

The Department of Comparative Linguistics at the University of Zurich invites
applications for a postdoctoral position in typology.

The position is embedded in the research project "The Evolution of Noun
Phrases in Indo-Iranian: empirical foundations and theoretical modeling"
funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation. In this project, we aim at
gaining insights into how exactly language contact, universal trends and
chance effects play together. We do this by tracking the evolution of NP
structures and their properties in a large sample of modern and extinct
Indo-Iranian languages and compare them to their respective contact languages.
We will use, and further develop, both qualitative comparative methods and
quantitative modeling. Apart from the position advertised here, the project
will be supported by a postdoc and PhD candidate specialized in Indo-Iranian
historical linguistics and by experts in quantitative methods and database
technology. The project is embedded in extensive cooperation between typology
and Indo-European linguistics at the department.

The succesful candidate has a strong background and substantial experience in
diachronically-oriented typology, including quantitative methods and area
formation research. S/He is responsible for collecting and analyzing  data on
the contact languages as well as on a worldwide control sample. In close
cooperation with the entire project team, s/he will work towards comprehensive
analyses of the historical dynamics of NP structures. We expect the successful
candidate to have excellent team-work skills and to be eager to look beyond
narrow disciplinary boundaries.

The position is offered for a period of three years and will be filled by
September 1, 2017 at the latest.

Applications are expected to reach us by March 31, 2017, and should include a
letter of motivation, the CV, a copy of the PhD thesis, and the names of two