28.782, Calls: Writing Systems/Japan

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 9 17:44:27 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-782. Thu Feb 09 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.782, Calls: Writing Systems/Japan

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 12:44:20
From: Terry Joyce [terry at tama.ac.jp]
Subject: 11th International Workshop on Writing Systems and Literacy

Full Title: 11th International Workshop on Writing Systems and Literacy
Short Title: AWLL11

Date: 29-Aug-2017 - 31-Aug-2017
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Contact Person: Terry Joyce
Meeting Email: terry at tama.ac.jp
Web Site: http://faculty.tama.ac.jp/joyce/awll/wsMaterials/AWLL11-2017-SecondCall.pdf

Linguistic Field(s): Writing Systems

Call Deadline: 30-Mar-2017

Meeting Description:

Continuing the Association of Written Language and Literacy's (AWLL) tradition
of international workshops devoted to writing systems, AWLL11 will gather
together researchers from various countries and diverse research backgrounds.
Its open theme aspires to foster beneficial exchanges between diachronic and
synchronic perspectives to advance our understanding of how writing systems
develop and actually function.  Accordingly, especially welcome are
contributions that address interesting research questions, such as (but not
limited to) the following, which are tentatively aligned along the
past-present-future continuum:

- How can historical studies contribute to our understanding of writing
systems?
- How can we enhance our linguistic descriptions, or typologies, of writing
systems?
- How can cross-linguistic studies elucidate key aspects of different writing
systems?
- How can writing systems research inform psycholinguistic research in the
areas of word recognition and reading, including the processes of literacy
acquisition?
- How can we approach the construction of new writing systems for unwritten
languages?
- How is digital technology influencing communication, printing and writing
systems?

Expanding geographically on prior AWLL meetings (held within Europe in
Belgium, France, Germany, The Netherlands, and United Kingdom), AWLL11 will be
the first gathering to take place within Asia in Japan.  To mark the occasion,
AWLL11 will include a symposium session dedicated to the Asian writing systems
of China, Japan and Korea.

Also slightly extending in time, AWLL11 will consist of 2.5 days of program
(scheduled over the three workshop days), including invited talks, a
symposium, a panel discussion session, and oral and poster presentation
sessions (as well as AWLL's business meeting).

Invited Speaker:

Florian Coulmas (University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany)
(plus others, to be announced)

Local Organizers:

Terry Joyce (Tama University, Japan)
Chikako Fujita (Nanzan University, Japan)
Hisashi Masuda (Hiroshima Shudo University, Japan)

Program Committee:

Lynne Cahill (University of Sussex, UK)
Terry Joyce (Tama University, Japan)
Hisashi Masuda (Hiroshima Shudo University, Japan)
Martin Neef (TU Braunschweig, Germany)

2nd Call for Papers:

Important Dates:

Submission deadline: 30 March 2017
Notification of acceptance: 30 April 2017
Workshop dates: 29-31 August 2017

Submission Guidelines:

Applicants for both oral and poster presentations should submit electronic
abstracts of no more than 300 words, with an indication of presentation
preference (oral or poster). Oral presentation slots will be up to 30 minutes
(inclusive of time for questions and discussion).

Contact: terry at tama.ac.jp
AWLL website: http://faculty.tama.ac.jp/joyce/awll/index.html

Participation:

Naturally, researchers interested in attending the workshop without making a
presentation are also most welcome. The local organizers will endeavor to
provide registration details, together with travel and accommodation
information, as soon as possible after acceptance notifications have been sent
out. The workshop program and abstracts of accepted presentations (both oral
and posters) will also be circulated well in advance of the workshop.