28.997, Jobs: Chinese, Mandarin; German; Japanese; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Semantics; Syntax: Consultant, DefinedCrowd Corp.

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 24 15:25:55 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-997. Fri Feb 24 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.997, Jobs:  Chinese, Mandarin; German; Japanese; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Semantics; Syntax: Consultant, DefinedCrowd Corp.

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)
Homepage: http://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 10:25:48
From:  Daan B. [daan at definedcrowd.com]

University or Organization: DefinedCrowd Corp.
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Job Title: Linguists for German, Japanese and Mandarin Chinese
Job Rank: Consultant

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Phonetics; Semantics; Syntax

Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
                      German (deu)
                      Japanese (jpn)

About DefinedCrowd:

DefinedCrowd Corporation (http://www.definedcrowd.com) is headquartered in
Seattle, Washington, with a R&D center in Lisbon, Portugal. We provide machine
learning training data for artificial intelligence products and applications
internationally. Our clients range from Fortune 500 companies to cutting-edge
AI and robotics companies and we count with Amazon, Sony and Portugal Ventures
in our investors portfolio. We are a Microsoft Accelerator alumni company
graduated from the Machine Learning cohort in June 2016 and we are recognized
as the fastest growing company in the big data arena for AI. As we continue to
expand our international footprint, we are looking for talented new members to
join this energetic, hardworking and fun team in both Seattle headquarter and
in Lisbon R&D center. As we continue to grow at DefinedCrowd, we are
constantly challenging ourselves with finding the most efficient way to manage
business operation, building most suitable and sustainable models for our
lines of business, creating a highly recognized and trusted brand among both
clients and crowd communities. The successful candidates can have the
opportunity to greatly impact our company and to join the AI revolution.

Current job offers: Linguists for German, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese

We are looking for candidates with academically strong linguistic background
and hands-on experience working on several areas of the linguistics field, in
particular with phonetic transcription in different phonesets (IPA, X-Sampa)
and syntactic and semantic work.

The position starts immediately and is an ongoing part-time engagement that
can be performed online. Details will be discussed during the interview.

The job responsibilities may include:

- Provide phonetic transcription according to project guidelines in different
phoneset systems.
- Provide Part of Speech information or rules to improve an automatic POS
system.
- Provide feedbacks and improvement suggestions of phonetic transcription
process.
- Provide inputs on system workflow design.
- Work closely with Project Manager to manage the project execution.
- Potentially manage a team of linguists to perform other linguistics related
tasks.

The required qualifications are:

- Be native or near native speaker of the languages requested.
- BA in Linguistics. Masters is a plus.
- Be minimally tech savvy, used to ramp up in new software tools and debug
potential issues.
- Experience with phonetic transcription and familiarity with IPA and other
phonetic alphabets.
- Experience with syntactic and semantic tagging and systems.
- Strong communication skills along with ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work as a team player and
independently.

The compensation will be an hourly rate depending on the candidate’s
experience.

Please submit your resume to the email address for applications below. We are
looking forward to hearing from you.

Positions opened until 15 March 2017

Application Deadline: 31-Mar-2017

Email Address for Applications: hr at definedcrowd.com