28.1, All: New services by the LINGUIST List

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 1 20:55:52 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1. Sun Jan 01 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1, All: New services by the LINGUIST List

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Malgorzata Cavar <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 15:55:20
From: The LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: New services by the LINGUIST List

Dear subscribers,

we wish you all a happy and successful new year 2017!

LINGUIST List will start posting as usual from tomorrow on. In the meantime,
we have launched a new service. We provide now the possibility to post local
events using the new GeoLing service of LINGUIST List. Events that are posted
as local on GeoLing will not be mailed to the main mailing lists, but they
will be available on GeoLing and - importantly - they will be announced on
social media.

You can find the GeoLing application on the LINGUIST List pages:

http://geoling.linguistlist.org/

A brief HOWTO that explains the submission process to GeoLing local can be
found here:

http://geoling.linguistlist.org/howto/

This new application and infrastructure can be used from mobile devices like
tablets and smartphones, as well as desktop browsers. Apart from events of
local importance, it provides a new way to display conference information, job
or summer school announcements on a global map. All announcements that are
posted on LINGUIST List and that have geo-coordinates associated with them are
displayed on GeoLing as soon as they are posted on the mailing lists.

All local events that are submitted via the GeoLing interface are visible
after editing and approval.

It is possible to post local events from calendar applications directly by
sharing them with us or mailing them to our Calendar and Cards email address,
as described on the HOWTO page. One can send us an address of a linguistically
relevant institution, program, department, service from common contact or
address-book applications to the same address, as attached vCards. This is
also described on the GeoLing HOWTO page. We will provide more detailed
instructions in the next days and weeks including the various methods how
events and addresses can be shared on GeoLing.

GeoLing can also link directly to an institutional calendar online and display
all events automatically, as soon as they are added to the calendar. This
completely eliminates the need for submission of events. LINGUIST List
provides also the infrastructure for organizations or institutions that would
like to maintain an online calendar that is publicly readable and that
automatically displays in GeoLing.

LINGUIST List is still working to improve The GeoLing interface. We will
optimize the display of overlapping events at one location. The information
display for institutions or events will allow for direct functionality like
''add to my calendar'' or ''add to my address book'' on mobile devices. We
hope to be able to provide filtered views soon, that show only events and
contacts with specific keywords associated with them, so that one can display,
for example, only phonological events or all institutions that offer formal
syntax in their programs.

We hope that this new service improves your LINGUIST List experience.

If you are participating at the LSA annual meeting in Austin this week, please
come to our booth. We want to hear from you about your experience with the new
LINGUIST List projects and services, and your ideas for the future paths for
the LINGUIST.

Your LINGUIST List Team

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics

                       Fund Drive 2016