28.64, Books: Style, Mediation, and Change: Mortensen, Coupland, Thøgersen (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 4 19:24:25 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-64. Wed Jan 04 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.64, Books: Style, Mediation, and Change: Mortensen, Coupland, Thøgersen (eds.)

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Michael Czerniakowski <mike at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 14:24:17
From: Carolyn Napolitano [Carolyn.Napolitano at oup.com]

Title: Style, Mediation, and Change
Subtitle: Sociolinguistic Perspectives on Talking Media
Series Title: Oxford Studies in Sociolinguistics

Publication Year: 2016
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/style-mediation-and-change-9780190629496

Editor: Janus Mortensen
Editor: Nikolas Coupland
Editor: Jacob Thøgersen

Hardback: ISBN:  9780190629489 Pages: 280 Price: U.S. $ 99.00
Paperback: ISBN:  9780190629496 Pages: 280 Price: U.S. $ 39.95

Abstract:

When talk circulates through technological media - through television or radio
and through the activities they support, like the dissemination of news,
product advertising or entertainment - it takes on distinctive
characteristics, functions and styles. The talking media have developed their
own ways of styling individuals (often as celebrities of different types, but
also as 'ordinary people'), and ways of styling relationships (such as
constructing informality or trust or authority). Media also style their own
ways of communicating (how to read the news, how to conduct interviews, how to
entertain or educate others, and so on).

Media invest heavily in style and styling, drawing on semiotic modes well
beyond speech itself. 'Style' therefore needs to be theorised carefully in
sociolinguistics and neighbouring disciplines. Episodes and fragments of
mediated styles commonly take on new lives when they are re-circulated via
interactive 'new' media platforms. Style therefore points to both stability,
where ways of speaking and ways of being have become culturally familiar, and
to instability, in the talking media's persistent dynamic reworking of
stylistic norms. This book explores a wide range of normative structures and
creative media processes of this sort, in many different national contexts and
in different languages.

The globalised world is already massively mediatised - what we know about
language, people and society is necessarily shaped through our engagement with
media. But talking media are caught up in wider currents of rapid change too.
Creative innovations in media styling can heighten our reflexive awareness,
but they can also unsettle our existing understandings of language-society
relations. In reporting new investigations by expert researchers, situated in
relation to relevant theory, the book gives an original and timely account of
how style, media and change need to be integrated further to advance the
discipline of sociolinguistics.

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=107234

PUBLISHING PARTNER

    Cambridge University Press
        http://us.cambridge.org

MAJOR SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Akademie Verlag GmbH
        http://www.oldenbourg-verlag.de/akademie-verlag

    Bloomsbury Linguistics (formerly Continuum Linguistics)
        http://www.bloomsbury.com

    Brill
        http://www.brill.nl

    Cambridge Scholars Publishing
        http://www.c-s-p.org

    Cascadilla Press
        http://www.cascadilla.com/

    Classiques Garnier
        http://www.classiques-garnier.com/

    De Gruyter Mouton
        http://www.degruyter.com/

    Edinburgh University Press
        http://www.euppublishing.com

    Elsevier Ltd
        http://www.elsevier.com/

    Equinox Publishing Ltd
        http://www.equinoxpub.com/

    European Language Resources Association (ELRA)
        http://www.elra.info/

    Georgetown University Press
        http://www.press.georgetown.edu/

    John Benjamins
        http://www.benjamins.com/

    Lincom GmbH
        http://www.lincom-shop.eu/

    MIT Press
        http://mitpress.mit.edu/

    Multilingual Matters
        http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

    Narr Francke Attempto Verlag GmbH + Co. KG
        http://www.narr.de/

    Oxford University Press
        oup.com/us

    Palgrave Macmillan
        http://www.palgrave.com/

    Peter Lang AG
        http://www.peterlang.com/

    Rodopi
        http://www.rodopi.nl/

    Routledge (Taylor and Francis)
        http://www.routledge.com/

    Springer
        http://www.springer.com/

    University of Toronto Press
        http://www.utpjournals.com/

    Wiley-Blackwell
        http://www.wiley.com/

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Association of Editors of the Journal of Portuguese Linguistics
        http://www.fl.ul.pt/revistas/JPL/JPLweb.htm

    International Pragmatics Assoc.
        http://ipra.ua.ac.be/

    Linguistic Association of Finland
        http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/

    Morgan & Claypool Publishers
        http://www.morganclaypool.com/

    Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke (LOT)
        http://www.lotpublications.nl/

    Seoul National University
        http://j-cs.org/index/index.php

    SIL International Publications