28.235, Qs: Word Order in Dependent Clauses

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 12 02:07:20 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-235. Wed Jan 11 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.235, Qs: Word Order in Dependent Clauses

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:07:13
From: Wido van Peursen [w.t.van.peursen at vu.nl]
Subject: Word Order in Dependent Clauses

Dear all,

I know from my own language (Dutch) as well as from the Semitic languages I am
studying, that subordinate clauses may behave differently than main clauses,
sometimes preserving a construction or a word order that has been retained
only in specific contexts.

I think of Dutch clauses introduced by ''omdat'' or German clauses introduced
by ''dass'', which causes the finite verb to move in clause-final position,
but I assume that the same phenomenon is also found in other languages,
affecting other phenomena.

Does anyone have bibliographical suggestions for more examples, a description
or a linguistic explanation of this phenomenon?

Kind regards,

Wido van Peursen

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax

                       Fund Drive 2016