28.335, FYI: Online lecture, Hickok on Dual Streams, Jan. 19th

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 17 15:22:58 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-335. Tue Jan 17 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.335, FYI: Online lecture, Hickok on Dual Streams, Jan. 19th

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 10:22:46
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online lecture, Hickok on Dual Streams, Jan. 19th

Thursday, January 19th, 2pm EDT

https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

The Dual Stream Model: Clarifications and Recent Progress
Greg Hickok
University of California, Irvine.

This talk presents an overview of the Hickok & Poeppel Dual Stream model and
its recent development. We start with a brief discussion of the origins of the
model and several points of clarification. Specifically, I will re-emphasize
that the division of labor between the streams turns on two broad
functions—speech comprehension (ventral stream) and speech production (dorsal
stream)—and that the relation between these streams is asymmetric in that
speech production relies on sensory systems whereas speech comprehension is
not dependent on motor systems. We then turn to recent developments of the
model, particularly with respect to the dorsal stream. Regarding the dorsal
stream, I will argue that the system is best conceptualized as a sensory-motor
feedback control mechanism that operates over not only auditory-motor planning
representations but also somatosensory-motor planning representations. This
architecture provides a new way of thinking about the neural implementation of
traditional linguistic levels of processing (segments, syllables, and
sequences of syllables). I’ll finish with a discussion of a new hypothesis
regarding the function of area Spt and its implications for understanding the
neural and computational basis of speech production.

The lecture will be held at the University of California, Irvine (at 11am
Pacific Time), but can be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

C-star Lecture Series

The Center for the Study of Aphasia Recovery (C-STAR; http://cstar.sc.edu)
houses researchers who examine the effects of behavioral treatment, brain
stimulation, and residual brain function (brain plasticity) on recovery from
aphasia. C-STAR is a collaboration between researchers from the University of
South Carolina, the Medical University of South Carolina, Johns Hopkins
University, and the University of California, Irvine. The Center is funded
through the National Institute of Deafness and Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
grant #NIH P50 DC014664. Biweekly public lectures, given by members and guests
of C-STAR, are accessible live and online. Recordings of the lectures can be
viewed via C-STAR YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8p0CuG4He9nqCR4nnzhZ7w

For more information, please contact Dirk den Ouden (denouden at sc.edu;
803-777-9241)