28.366, Calls: General Ling, Morphology, Typology/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 18 15:46:05 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-366. Wed Jan 18 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.366, Calls: General Ling, Morphology, Typology/UK

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 10:45:56
From: Penny Everson [p.everson at surrey.ac.uk]
Subject: The Morphological Eye: SMG 25th Anniversary Workshop

Full Title: The Morphological Eye: SMG 25th Anniversary Workshop

Date: 08-Sep-2017 - 09-Sep-2017
Location: Guildford, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Penny Everson
Meeting Email: p.everson at surrey.ac.uk
Web Site: http://www.smg.surrey.ac.uk/events/

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Morphology; Typology

Call Deadline: 13-Mar-2017

Meeting Description:

In 2017, the Surrey Morphology Group (SMG) celebrates 25 years of research
(see http://www.smg.surrey.ac.uk/). The SMG is a research centre dedicated to
language diversity and its theoretical consequences, combining the
investigation of grammatical categories in a wide variety of languages with
explicit formal and statistical frameworks for expressing typological and
theoretical generalizations. At the heart of this work is the study of
morphology: the typology of possible words and the principles that govern both
the relationships of forms to each other, and to the rest of grammar. This has
meant taking a morphocentric approach to language, treating morphology not as
a by-product or (merely) an interface between modules, but as a vantage point
in its own right.

As part of the celebrations to mark 25 years since the inception of Surrey
Morphology Group, a workshop will be held at the University of Surrey on
September 8-9 2017.

Keynote Speakers:

Mark Aronoff
Nick Evans
Martin Maiden
Andrew Spencer

Call for Papers:

The Morphological Eye: SMG 25th Anniversary Workshop
University of Surrey, 8-9 September 2017
(between the LAGB and SLE)

To mark this anniversary the SMG is organizing a two-day workshop. This will
be an opportunity to reflect, and glance backwards, but mainly to look
forwards. We therefore invite contributions in all areas of morphology,
especially those which suggest future challenges, new approaches and
innovative techniques. We especially welcome papers which take morphological
phenomena as a viewpoint for looking out into other areas of linguistics.

One page anonymous abstracts please, attached to an email with your details,
to smg at surrey.ac.uk, by Monday March 13. Queries about the workshop can be
sent to this email too. Given the level of interest shown when we announced
the dates, we expect the slots for talks to be short.

We plan a ‘warm-up’ on the evening of Thursday September 7, for those who
arrive the night before, a full day on Friday September 8, and an early
afternoon finish on Saturday September 9.

                       Fund Drive 2016

          http://multitree.org/