28.488, Calls: Cognitive Science, Linguistics & Literature/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 24 18:53:07 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-488. Tue Jan 24 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.488, Calls: Cognitive Science, Linguistics & Literature/Poland

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:53:01
From: Aleksandra Majdzińska [smallforms1 at gmail.com]
Subject: 2nd Conference on Small Forms

Full Title: 2nd Conference on Small Forms
Short Title: Small Forms 2017

Date: 26-Jun-2017 - 27-Jun-2017
Location: Łódź, Poland
Contact Person: Aleksandra Majdzińska
Meeting Email: smallforms1 at gmail.com
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/view/small2017/small-forms-2017

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Ling & Literature

Call Deadline: 01-May-2017

Meeting Description:

The aim of the conference is to discuss the challenges of creating and
analyzing small linguistic, multimodal, and literary forms. We are most
interested in whether highly concise expression involves any special
strategies and mindset.

Language: English

Call for Papers:

We invite contributions from linguists, literary scholars, arts and media
scholars, on any aspect of this topic, including:

- Theoretical reflection on the semantics, pragmatics, and stylistics of small
forms
- The specifics of such forms as micro-poetry and micro-fiction; concrete and
visual poems; haikus, limericks; aphorisms, epigrams; nursery rhymes; short
news stories; video clips; jokes; ads; Internet memes; Facebook posts and
comments; twits; short text messages; etc.

As a logical extension of our topic, we also hope to hold a special section on
Nothing – the cases of null form, but some semantic content (think ‘meaningful
silence’; John Cage’s 4’33’’, etc.)

Brief abstracts (up to 200 words) should be sent to smallforms1 at gmail.com

Dates:

Abstract submission/ Notification of acceptance: 1 May 2017.
Deadline for registration: 15 May 2017
Conference: 26-27 June 2017

Conference fee: 80 EUR for participants with foreign affiliation; 320 PLN for
participants with Polish affiliation

Conference Organizers:

Prof. Alina Kwiatkowska, Prof. Kamila Ciepiela, Dr Aleksandra Majdzinska
(conference secretary)
Department of English and General Linguistics
Institute of English Studies, University of Lodz, Poland

                       Fund Drive 2016